- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 128965, 8 pages
Paradoxical Roles of Tumour Necrosis Factor-Alpha in Prostate Cancer Biology
1Australian Prostate Cancer Research Centre-Queensland, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, QLD 4102, Australia
2Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, Cells and Tissue Domain, Faculty of Health, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, QLD 4059, Australia
3Department of Medicine, St. George Hospital Clinical School, The University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2217, Australia
Received 26 September 2012; Accepted 19 November 2012
Academic Editor: Jostein Halgunset
Copyright © 2012 Brian W. C. Tse et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Smyth, E. Cretney, M. H. Kershaw, and Y. Hayakawa, “Cytokines in cancer immunity and immunotherapy,” Immunological Reviews, vol. 202, pp. 275–293, 2004.
- E. A. Carswell, L. J. Old, and R. L. Kassel, “An endotoxin induced serum factor that cuases necrosis of tumors,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 72, no. 9, pp. 3666–3670, 1975.
- P. W. Szlosarek and F. R. Balkwill, “Tumour necrosis factor α: a potential target for the therapy of solid tumours,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 565–573, 2003.
- R. van Horssen, T. L. M. Ten Hagen, and A. M. M. Eggermont, “TNF-α in cancer treatment: molecular insights, antitumor effects, and clinical utility,” Oncologist, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 397–408, 2006.
- X. Wang and Y. Lin, “Tumor necrosis factor and cancer, buddies or foes?” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1275–1288, 2008.
- M. Ricote, M. Royuela, I. García-Tuñón, F. R. Bethencourt, R. Paniagua, and B. Fraile, “Pro-apoptotic tumor necrosis factor-α transduction pathway in normal prostate, benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostatic carcinoma,” Journal of Urology, vol. 170, no. 3, pp. 787–790, 2003.
- S. Mocellin, C. R. Rossi, P. Pilati, and D. Nitti, “Tumor necrosis factor, cancer and anticancer therapy,” Cytokine and Growth Factor Reviews, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 35–53, 2005.
- J. A. Ludwig and J. N. Weinstein, “Biomarkers in cancer staging, prognosis and treatment selection,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 5, no. 11, pp. 845–856, 2005.
- V. Michalaki, K. Syrigos, P. Charles, and J. Waxman, “Serum levels of IL-6 and TNF-α correlate with clinicopathological features and patient survival in patients with prostate cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 2312–2316, 2004.
- J. Nakashima, M. Tachibana, M. Ueno, A. Miyajima, S. Baba, and M. Murai, “Association between tumor necrosis factor in serum and cachexia in patients with prostate cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 1743–1748, 1998.
- J. Nakashima, M. Tachibana, M. Ueno, S. Baba, and H. Tazaki, “Tumor necrosis factor and coagulopathy in patients with prostate cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 55, no. 21, pp. 4881–4885, 1995.
- A. Mizokami, A. Gotoh, H. Yamada, E. T. Keller, and T. Matsumoto, “Tumor necrosis factor-α represses androgen sensitivity in the LNCaP prostate cancer cell line,” Journal of Urology, vol. 164, no. 3 I, pp. 800–805, 2000.
- M. P. de Miguel, M. Royuela, F. R. Bethencourt, L. Santamaría, B. Fraile, and R. Paniagua, “Immunoexpression of tumour necrosis factor-α and its receptors 1 and 2 correlates with proliferation/apoptosis equilibrium in normal, hyperplasic and carcinomatous human prostrate,” Cytokine, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 535–538, 2000.
- S. J. Kim, W. K. Kelly, A. Fu et al., “Genome-wide methylation analysis identifies involvement of TNF-α mediated cancer pathways in prostate cancer,” Cancer Letters, vol. 302, no. 1, pp. 47–53, 2011.
- C. Nuñez, J. R. Cansino, F. Bethencourt et al., “TNF/IL-1/NIK/NF-κB transduction pathway: a comparative study in normal and pathological human prostate (benign hyperplasia and carcinoma),” Histopathology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 166–176, 2008.
- G. Auclerc, E. C. Antoine, F. Cajfinger, A. Brunet-Pommeyrol, C. Agazia, and D. Khayat, “Management of advanced prostate cancer,” Oncologist, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 36–44, 2000.
- J. D. Debes and D. J. Tindall, “Mechanisms of androgen-refractory prostate cancer,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 15, pp. 1488–1490, 2004.
- G. Attard, J. Richards, and J. S. de Bono, “New strategies in metastatic prostate cancer: targeting the androgen receptor signaling pathway,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 1649–1657, 2011.
- F. Schroder, E. D. Crawford, K. Axcrona, et al., “Androgen deprivation therapy: past, present and future,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 109, supplement 6, pp. 1–12, 2012.
- K. N. Chi, A. Bjartell, D. Dearnaley, et al., “Castration-resistant prostate cancer: from new pathophysiology to new treatment targets,” European Urology, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 594–605, 2009.
- J. A. Locke, E. S. Guns, A. A. Lubik et al., “Androgen Levels increase by intratumoral de novo steroidogenesis during progression of castration-resistant prostate cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 68, no. 15, pp. 6407–6415, 2008.
- J. S. Davis, K. L. Nastiuk, and J. J. Krolewski, “TNF is necessary for castration-induced prostate regression, whereas TRAIL and FasL are dispensable,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 611–620, 2011.
- S. Harada, E. T. Keller, N. Fujimoto, et al., “Long-term exposure of tumor necrosis factor alpha causes hypersensitivity to androgen and anti-androgen withdrawal phenomenon in LNCaP cancer cells,” Prostate, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 319–326, 2001.
- N. Fujimoto, H. Miyamoto, A. Mizokami et al., “Prostate cancer cells increase androgen sensitivity by increase in nuclear androgen receptor and androgen receptor coactivators; a possible mechanism of hormone-resistance of prostate cancer cells,” Cancer Investigation, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 32–37, 2007.
- P. Szlosarek, K. A. Charles, and F. R. Balkwill, “Tumour necrosis factor-α as a tumour promoter,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 745–750, 2006.
- F. Balkwill, “TNF-α in promotion and progression of cancer,” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 409–416, 2006.
- R. J. Moore, D. M. Owens, G. Stamp, et al., “Mice deficient in tumor necrosis factor-alpha are resistant to skin carcinogenesis,” Nature Medicine, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 828–831, 1999.
- H. Ohshima, M. Tatemichi, and T. Sawa, “Chemical basis of inflammation-induced carcinogenesis,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 417, no. 1, pp. 3–11, 2003.
- S. J. Leibovich, P. J. Polverini, H. M. Shepard, D. M. Wiseman, V. Shively, and N. Nuseir, “Macrophage-induced angiogenesis is mediated by tumour necrosis factor-α,” Nature, vol. 329, no. 6140, pp. 630–632, 1987.
- L. Schweigerer, B. Malerstein, and D. Gospodarowicz, “Tumor necrosis factor inhibits the proliferation of cultured capillary endothelial cells,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 997–1004, 1987.
- P. Radhakrishnan, V. Chachadia, et al., “TNFalpha enhances the motility and invasiveness of prostatic cancer cells by stimulating the expression of selective glycosyl- and sulfotransferase genes involved in the synthesis of selectin ligands,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 409, no. 3, pp. 436–441, 2011.
- L. Lü, D. Tang, L. Wang, et al., “Gambogic acid inhibits TNF-α-induced invasion of human prostate cancer PC3 cells in vitro through PI3K/Akt and NF-κB signaling pathways,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 531–541, 2012.
- V. Subbarayan, A. L. Sabichi, N. Llansa, S. M. Lippman, and D. G. Menter, “Differential expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and its regulation by tumor necrosis factor-α in normal and malignant prostate cells,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 2720–2726, 2001.
- L. F. Fajardo, H. H. Kwan, J. Kowalski, S. D. Prionas, and A. C. Allison, “Dual role of tumor necrosis factor-α in angiogenesis,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 140, no. 3, pp. 539–544, 1992.
- E. C. Y. Lee, P. Zhan, R. Schallhom, K. Packman, and M. Tenniswood, “Antiandrogen-induced cell death in LNCaP human prostate cancer cells,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 761–771, 2003.
- D. P. Chopra, R. E. Menard, J. Januszewski, and R. R. Mattingly, “TNF-α-mediated apoptosis in normal human prostate epithelial cells and tumor cell lines,” Cancer Letters, vol. 203, no. 2, pp. 145–154, 2004.
- R. Kuhweide, J. Van Damme, and J. L. Ceuppens, “Tumor necrosis factor-α and interleukin 6 synergistically induce T cell growth,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 1019–1025, 1990.
- L. Gorelik, Y. Bar-Dagan, and M. B. Mokyr, “Insight into the mechanism(s) through which TNF promotes the generation of T cell-mediated antitumor cytotoxicity by tumor bearer splenic cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 156, no. 11, pp. 4298–4308, 1996.
- G. Pirtskhalaishvili, G. V. Shurin, C. Esche, D. L. Trump, and M. R. Shurin, “TNF-α protects dendritic cells from prostate cancer-induced apoptosis,” Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 221–227, 2001.
- L. Borsi, E. Balza, B. Carnemolla et al., “Selective targeted delivery of TNFα to tumor blood vessels,” Blood, vol. 102, no. 13, pp. 4384–4392, 2003.
- C. A. Kristensen, M. Nozue, Y. Boucher, and R. K. Jain, “Reduction of interstitial fluid pressure after TNF-α treatment of three human melanoma xenografts,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 533–536, 1996.
- M. T. S. Bertilaccio, M. Grioni, B. W. Sutherland et al., “Vasculature-targeted tumor necrosis factor-alpha increases the therapeutic index of doxorubicin against prostate cancer,” Prostate, vol. 68, no. 10, pp. 1105–1115, 2008.
- H. Läubli and L. Borsig, “Selectins promote tumor metastasis,” Seminars in Cancer Biology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 169–177, 2010.
- C. J. Logothetis and S. H. Lin, “Osteoblasts in prostate cancer metastasis to bone,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 21–28, 2005.
- T. R. Graham, K. C. Agrawal, and A. B. Abdel-Mageed, “Independent and cooperative roles of tumor necrosis factor-α, nuclear factor-γB, and bone morphogenetic protein-2 in regulation of metastasis and osteomimicry of prostate cancer cells and differentiation and mineralization of MC3T3-E1 osteoblast-like cells,” Cancer Science, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 103–111, 2010.
- G. N. Thalmann, P. E. Anezinis, S. M. Chang et al., “Androgen-independent cancer progression and bone metastasis in the LNCaP model of human prostate cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 2577–2581, 1994.
- K. Kimura, C. Bowen, S. Spiegel, and E. P. Gelmann, “Tumor necrosis factor-α sensitizes prostate cancer cells to γ- irradiation-induced apoptosis,” Cancer Research, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 1606–1614, 1999.
- T. D. K. Chung, H. J. Mauceri, D. E. Hallahan et al., “Tumor necrosis factor-α-based gene therapy enhances radiation cytotoxicity in human prostate cancer,” Cancer Gene Therapy, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 344–349, 1998.
- D. Wang, R. B. Montgomery, L. J. Schmidt et al., “Reduced tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated death domain expression is associated with prostate cancer progression,” Cancer Research, vol. 69, no. 24, pp. 9448–9456, 2009.
- M. Sumitomo, M. Tachibana, J. Nakashima et al., “An essential role for nuclear factor kappa B in preventing TNF-α-induced cell death in prostate cancer cells,” Journal of Urology, vol. 161, no. 2, pp. 674–679, 1999.
- M. T. Chow, A. Moller, and M. J. Smyth, “Inflammation and immune surveillance in cancer,” Seminars in Cancer Biology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 23–32, 2012.
- C. N. Baxevanis, I. F. Voutsas, O. E. Tsitsilonis, et al., “Compromised anti-tumor responses in tumor necrosis factor-alpha knockout mice,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1957–1966, 2000.
- M. J. Smyth, J. M. Kelly, A. G. Baxter, H. Körner, and J. D. Sedgwick, “An essential role for tumor necrosis factor in natural killer cell- mediated tumor rejection in the peritoneum,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 188, no. 9, pp. 1611–1619, 1998.
- J. E. Boudreau, A. Bonehill, K. Thielemans, and Y. Wan, “Engineering dendritic cells to enhance cancer immunotherapy,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 841–853, 2011.
- K. F. Scott, M. Sajinovic, J. Hein et al., “Emerging roles for phospholipase A2 enzymes in cancer,” Biochimie, vol. 92, no. 6, pp. 601–610, 2010.
- M. I. Patel, C. Kurek, and Q. Dong, “The arachidonic acid pathway and its role in prostate cancer development and progression,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, no. 5, pp. 1668–1675, 2008.
- M. W. Buczynski, D. S. Dumlao, and E. A. Dennis, “An integrated omics analysis of eicosanoid biology,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 1015–1038, 2009.
- C. D. Funk, “Prostaglandins and leukotrienes: advances in eicosanoid biology,” Science, vol. 294, no. 5548, pp. 1871–1875, 2001.
- M. I. Patel, J. Singh, M. Niknami et al., “Cytosolic phospholipase A2-α: a potential therapeutic target for prostate cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 24, pp. 8070–8079, 2008.
- C. C. Leslie, “Regulation of arachidonic acid availability for eicosanoid production,” Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 1–17, 2004.
- L.-Y. Khor, K. Bae, A. Pollack et al., “COX-2 expression predicts prostate-cancer outcome: analysis of data from the RTOG 92-02 trial,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 912–920, 2007.
- J. E. König, T. Senge, E. P. Allhoff, and W. König, “Analysis of the inflammatory network in benign prostate hyperplasia and prostate cancer,” The Prostate, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 121–129, 2004.
- M. Hughes-Fulford, C. F. Li, J. Boonyaratanakornkit, and S. Sayyah, “Arachidonic acid activates phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase signaling and induces gene expression in prostate cancer,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 1427–1433, 2006.
- L. Oleksowicz, Y. Liu, R. B. Bracken, et al., “Secretory phospholipase A2-IIa is a target of the Her/Her2-elicited pathway and a potential plasma biomarker for poor prognosis of prostate cancer,” The Prostate, vol. 72, pp. 1140–1149, 2012.
- L. A. Diaz Jr., W. Messersmith, L. Sokoll et al., “TNF-blockade in patients with advanced hormone refractory prostate cancer,” Investigational New Drugs, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 192–194, 2011.
- M. Feldmann, “Development of anti-TNF therapy for rheumatoid arthritis,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 364–371, 2002.
- G. Kramer, G. E. Steiner, P. Sokol et al., “Local intratumoral tumor necrosis factor-α and systemic IFN-α2b in patients with locally advanced prostate cancer,” Journal of Interferon and Cytokine Research, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 475–484, 2001.
- A. Sella, B. B. Aggarwal, R. G. Kilbourn, C. A. Bui, A. A. Zukiwski, and C. J. Logothetis, “Phase I study of tumor necrosis factor plus actinomycin D in patients with androgen-independent prostate cancer,” Cancer Biotherapy, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 225–235, 1995.
- S. H. Hautmann, E. Huland, and H. Huland, “Local intratumor immunotherapy of prostate cancer with interleukin-2 reduces tumor growth,” Anticancer Research, vol. 19, no. 4A, pp. 2661–2663, 1999.
- K. M. Hege, K. Jooss, and D. Pardoll, “GM-CSF gene-modifed cancer cell immunotherapies: of mice and men,” International Reviews of Immunology, vol. 25, no. 5-6, pp. 321–352, 2006.
- B. W. Tse, P. J. Russell, M. Lochner, et al., “IL-18 inhibits growth of murine orthotopic prostate carcinomas via both adaptive and innate immune mechanisms,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 9, Article ID e24241, 2011.
- A. Khatri, Y. Husaini, K. Ow, J. Chapman, and P. J. Russell, “Cytosine deaminase-uracil phosphoribosyltransferase and interleukin (IL)-12 and IL-18: a multimodal anticancer interface marked by specific modulation in serum cytokines,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 2323–2334, 2009.