- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Society Affiliation ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 814097, 7 pages
Nesting Activity and Behavior of Osmia cornifrons (Hymenoptera: Megachilidae) Elucidated Using Videography
Department of Entomology, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Received 27 January 2012; Accepted 16 March 2012
Academic Editor: Felipe Andrés León Contrera
Copyright © 2012 Matthew I. McKinney and Yong-Lak Park. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. A. Morse and N. W. Calderone, “The value of honey bees as pollinators of U.S. crops in 2000,” Bee Culture, vol. 128, pp. 2–15, 2000.
- A.-M. Klein, B. E. Vaissière, J. H. Cane et al., “Importance of pollinators in changing landscapes for world crops,” Proceedings of the Royal Society B, vol. 274, no. 1608, pp. 303–313, 2007.
- R. Johnson, Honey Bee Colony Collapse Disorder, Congressional Research Service, RL33938, http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL33938.pdf, 2010.
- C. A. Kearns, D. W. Inouye, and N. M. Waser, “Endangered mutualisms: the conservation of plant-pollinator interactions,” Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, vol. 29, pp. 83–112, 1998.
- P. F. Torchio, “Diversification of pollination strategies for U.S. crops,” Environmental Entomology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1649–1656, 1990.
- S. W. T. Batra, “Osmia cornifrons and Pithitis smaragdula, two Asian bees introduced into the United States for crop pollination,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Pollination. Maryland Agricultural Experiment Station Special Miscellaneous Publication 1, pp. 307–312, 1978.
- S.-B. Lee, D.-K. Seo, K.-H. Choi, et al., “The visited insects on apple flowers, and the characteristics on pollinating activity of pollinators released for pollination of apple orchards,” Korean Journal of Apiculture, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 275–282, 2008.
- J. Da-Yong and L. Long-Shi, “The activity of wild and orchard Osmia cornifrons,” Chinese Bulletin of Entomology, vol. 44, pp. 275–276, 2007.
- Y. Maeta and T. Kitamura, “Pollinating efficiency by Osmia cornifrons (Radoszkowski) in relation to required number of nesting bees for economic fruit production,” Honeybee Science, vol. 2, pp. 65–72, 1981.
- S. W. T. Batra, “The hornfaced bee for efficient pollination of small farm orchards,” in Research for Small Farms, USDA Miscellaneous Publication 1442, W. H. Kerr and L. V. Knutson, Eds., pp. 116–120, 1982.
- M. Yamada, N. Oyama, N. Sekita, S. Shirasaki, and C. Tsugawa, “The ecology of the megachilid bee Osmia cornifrons and its utilization for apple pollination,” Bulletin of Aomori Apple Experiment Station, vol. 134, no. 15, pp. 1–80, 1971.
- K.-Y. Lee, H.-J. Yoon, M.-A. Kim, Y.-M. Kim, and I.-G. Park, “Study on nesting and foraging behavior of Osmia cornifrons in the apple orchard,” in Proceedings of the Korean Society of Applied Entomology Conference, Chungcheong, Republic of Korea, October 2010.
- R. L. Baker and M. A. McGuffin, “Technique and observer presence affect reporting of behavior of damselfly larvae,” Journal of the North American Benthological Society, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 145–151, 2007.
- R. L. Wilson, C. A. Abel, and S. G. McClurg, “Osmia spp. reared in artificial nesting sites in a backyard environment,” Journal of Iowa Academy of Science, vol. 106, pp. 4–7, 1999.
- M. I. McKinney, Nesting biology of Osmia cornifrons: implications for population management, M.S. thesis, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA, 2011.
- M. D. Levin, “Biological notes on Osmia lignaria and Osmia californica (Hymenoptera: Apoidea, Megachilidae),” Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society, vol. 39, pp. 524–535, 1966.
- J. K. Phillips and E. C. Klostermeyer, “Nesting behavior of Osmia lignaria propinqua Cresson (Hymenoptera: Megachilidae),” Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society, vol. 51, pp. 91–108, 1978.
- S. Matsumoto and T. Maejima, “Several new aspects of the foraging behavior of Osmia cornifrons in an apple orchard,” Psyche, vol. 2010, Article ID 384371, 6 pages, 2010.
- P. F. Torchio, “Use of Osmia lignaria say (Hymenoptera: Apoidea, Megachilidae) as a pollinator in an apple and prune orchard,” Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society, vol. 49, pp. 475–482, 1976.