- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 648152, 14 pages
The Impact of Ethnic-Immigrant Status and Obesity-Related Risk Factors on Behavioral Problems among US Children and Adolescents
Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration, US Department of Health and Human Services, Room 18-41, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
Received 30 October 2012; Accepted 12 December 2012
Academic Editors: G. Mastrangelo and J. Oei
Copyright © 2012 Gopal K. Singh and Stella M. Yu. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Health Resources and Services Administration and Maternal and Child Health Bureau, The Mental and Emotional Well-Being of Children: A Portrait of States and the Nation 2007, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Md, USA.
- G. A. Simpson, B. Bloom, R. A. Cohen, S. Blumberg, and K. H. Bourdon, “U.S. children with emotional and behavioral difficulties: data from the 2001, 2002, and 2003 National Health Interview Surveys,” Advance Data, no. 360, pp. 1–13, 2005.
- Y. Xue, T. Leventhal, J. Brooks-Gunn, and F. J. Earls, “Neighborhood residence and mental health problems of 5- to 11-year-olds,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 62, no. 5, pp. 554–563, 2005.
- G. K. Singh and M. Ghandour, “Impact of neighborhood social conditions and household socioeconomic status on behavioral problems among US children,” Maternal and Child Health Journal, vol. 16, pp. S158–S169, 2012.
- A. R. Pebley and N. Sastry, “Neighborhoods, poverty, and children's well-being,” in Social Inequality, K. M. Neckerman, Ed., pp. 119–144, Russell Sage Foundation, New York, NY, USA, 2004.
- T. Leventhal and J. Brooks-Gunn, “The neighborhoods they live in: the effects of neighborhood residence on child and adolescent outcomes,” Psychological Bulletin, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 309–337, 2000.
- E. B. Winslow and D. S. Shaw, “Impact of neighborhood disadvantage on overt behavior problems during early childhood,” Aggressive Behavior, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 207–219, 2007.
- J. L. Moren-Cross, D. R. Wright, M. LaGory, and R. G. Lanzi, “Perceived neighborhood characteristics and problem behavior among disadvantaged children,” Child Psychiatry and Human Development, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 273–294, 2006.
- J. Schneiders, M. Drukker, J. van der Ende, F. C. Verhulst, J. van Os, and N. A. Nicolson, “Neighbourhood socioeconomic disadvantage and behavioural problems from late childhood into early adolescence,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 699–703, 2003.
- W. A. M. Vollebergh, M. ten Have, M. Dekovic et al., “Mental health in immigrant children in the Netherlands,” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 489–496, 2005.
- M. T. Kantomaa, T. H. Tammelin, H. E. Ebeling, and A. M. Taanila, “Emotional and behavioral problems in relation to physical activity in youth,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 40, no. 10, pp. 1749–1756, 2008.
- L. C. Davies and R. S. McKelvey, “Emotional and behavioural problems and competencies among immigrant and non-immigrant adolescents,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 658–665, 1998.
- M. Beiser, F. Hou, I. Hyman, and M. Tousignant, “Poverty, family process, and the mental health of immigrant children in Canada,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 92, no. 2, pp. 220–227, 2002.
- M. Tienda and R. Haskins, “Immigrant children: introducing the issue,” Future of Children, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 3–18, 2011.
- L. P. Walters and E. N. Trevelyan, “The newly arrived foreign-born population of the United States: 2010,” American Community Survey Briefs, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2011.
- E. M. Grieco and E. N. Trevelyan, “Place of birth of the foreign-born population: 2009,” American Community Survey Briefs, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2010.
- E. M. Grieco, “Race and hispanic origin of the foreign-born population in the United States: 2007,” American Community Survey Briefs, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2010.
- L. J. Larsen, “The foreign-born population in the United States: 2003,” Current Population Reports, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2003.
- US Census Bureau, The 2011 American Community Survey, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2012.
- Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics, America'S Children: Key National Indicators of Well-Being, 2012, US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, USA, 2012.
- G. K. Singh, M. Siahpush, and M. D. Kogan, “Rising social inequalities in US childhood obesity, 2003–2007,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 40–52, 2010.
- G. K. Singh and M. D. Kogan, “Contemporary racial/ethnic and socioeconomic patterns in US childhood obesity,” in Global Perspectives on Childhood Obesity: Current Status, Consequences and Prevention, D. Bagchi, Ed., pp. 71–85, Academic Press, San Diego, Calif, USA, 2010.
- G. K. Singh, M. Siahpush, and M. D. Kogan, “Neighborhood socioeconomic conditions, built environments, and childhood obesity,” Health Affairs, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 503–512, 2010.
- National Center for Health Statistics, The National Survey of Children'S Health (NSCH), 2007, US Department of Health and Human Services, Hyattsville, Md, USA, 2009.
- Health Resources and Services Administration and Maternal and Child Health Bureau, the National Survey of Children'S Health 2007: The Health and Well-Being of Children, A Portrait of StateS and the Nation, US Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, Md, USA, 2009.
- S. J. Blumberg, E. B. Foster, A. M. Frasier, et al., “Design and operation of the National Survey of Children's Health, 2007,” Vital Health Stat, vol. 1, no. 55, pp. 1–149, 2012.
- J. L. Peterson and N. Zill, “Marital disruption, parent-child relationships, and behavior problems in children,” Journal of Marriage and the Family, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 295–307, 1986.
- S. Hofferth, P. E. Davis-Kean, J. Davis, and J. Finkelstein, “The child development supplement to the panel study of income dynamics,” in 1997 Users Guide, Assessments and Scales, chapter 6, Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, 1999.
- G. A. Simpson and M. G. Fowler, “Geographic mobility and children's emotional/behavioral adjustment and school functioning,” Pediatrics, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 303–309, 1994.
- G. K. Singh, M. D. Kogan, and S. M. Yu, “Disparities in obesity and overweight prevalence among us immigrant children and adolescents by generational status,” Journal of Community Health, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 271–281, 2009.
- G. K. Singh, S. M. Yu, M. Siahpush, and M. D. Kogan, “High levels of physical inactivity and sedentary behaviors among US immigrant children and adolescents,” Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, vol. 162, no. 8, pp. 756–763, 2008.
- E. J. Paavonen, K. Räikkönen, J. Lahti et al., “Short sleep duration and behavioral symptoms of attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorder in healthy 7- to 8-year-old children,” Pediatrics, vol. 123, no. 5, pp. e857–e864, 2009.
- A. Smaldone, J. C. Honig, and M. W. Byrne, “Sleepless in America: Inadequate sleep and relationships to health and well-being of our nation's children,” Pediatrics, vol. 119, supplement 1, pp. S29–S37, 2007.
- SUDAAN, Software For the Statistical Analysis of Correlated Data, Release 10. 0. 1, Research Triangle Park, NC: Research Triangle Institute, 2009.
- G. K. Singh and R. A. Hiatt, “Trends and disparities in socioeconomic and behavioural characteristics, life expectancy, and cause-specific mortality of native-born and foreign-born populations in the United States, 1979–2003,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 903–919, 2006.
- G. K. Singh, M. Siahpush, R. A. Hiatt, and L. R. Timsina, “Dramatic increases in obesity and overweight prevalence and body mass index among ethnic-immigrant and social class groups in the United States, 1976–2008,” Journal of Community Health, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 94–110, 2011.
- G. Jasso and M. Rosenzweig, The New Chosen People: Immigrants in the United States, Russell Sage Foundation, New York, USA, 1990.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, Healthy People 2020, http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/default.aspx.