- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Stroke Research and Treatment
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 839151, 8 pages
Small Vessel Cerebrovascular Disease: The Past, Present, and Future
1Division of Cerebrovascular Diseases & Neurocritical Care, Department of Neurology, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, 395 West 12th Avenue, 7th Floor, Suite 766, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
2Neurovascular Stroke Center, The Ohio State University Medical Center, 395 West 12th Avenue, 7th Floor, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
3Interventional Neurology Program, Comprehensive Stroke Center, St. Mary's Medical Center, 901 45th Street, West Palm Beach, FL 33407, USA
Received 19 September 2011; Accepted 26 October 2011
Academic Editor: Chelsea S. Kidwell
Copyright © 2012 Réza Behrouz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. P. Adams Jr., B. H. Bendixen, L. J. Kappelle et al., “Classification of subtype of acute ischemic stroke: definitions for use in a multicenter clinical trial,” Stroke, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 1993.
- C. M. Fisher, “Lacunar strokes and infarcts: a review,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 1, pp. 311–320, 1991.
- S. Sacco, C. Marini, R. Totaro, T. Russo, D. Cerone, and A. Carolei, “A population-based study of the incidence and prognosis of lacunar stroke,” Neurology, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 1335–1338, 2006.
- C. M. Fisher, “Lacunar strokes and infarcts: a review,” Neurology, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 871–876, 1982.
- C. M. Fisher, “The arterial lesions underlying lacunes,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 1969.
- G. De Jong, F. Kessels, and J. Lodder, “Two types of lacunar infarcts: further arguments from a study on prognosis,” Stroke, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 2072–2076, 2002.
- J. Boiten, J. Lodder, and F. Kessels, “Two clinically distinct lacunar infarct entities? A hypothesis,” Stroke, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 652–656, 1993.
- D. R. Horowitz, S. Tuhrim, J. M. Weinberger, and S. H. Rudolph, “Mechanisms in lacunar infarction,” Stroke, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 325–327, 1992.
- N. Futrell, “Lacumar infarction: embolism is the key,” Stroke, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1778–1779, 2004.
- R. L. Macdonald, A. Kowalczuk, and L. Johns, “Emboli enter penetrating arteries of monkey brain in relation to their size,” Stroke, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1247–1251, 1995.
- R. L. Sacco, S. Prabhakaran, J. L. P. Thompson et al., “Comparison of warfarin versus aspirin for the prevention of recurrent stroke or death: subgroup analyses from the warfarin-aspirin recurrent stroke study,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 4–12, 2006.
- A. Arboix, A. Font, C. Garro, L. García-Eroles, E. Comes, and J. Massons, “Recurrent lacunar infarction following a previous lacunar stroke: a clinical study of 122 patients,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 78, no. 12, pp. 1392–1394, 2007.
- T. Soda, H. Nakayasu, M. Maeda et al., “Stroke recurrence within the first year following cerebral infarction—Tottori University Lacunar Infarction Prognosis Study (TULIPS),” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 110, no. 6, pp. 343–349, 2004.
- A. Arauz, L. Murillo, C. Cantú, F. Barinagarrementeria, and J. Higuera, “Prospective study of single and multiple lacunar infarcts using magnetic resonance imaging: risk factors, recurrence, and outcome in 175 consecutive cases,” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 2453–2458, 2003.
- R. Gan, R. L. Sacco, D. E. Kargman, J. K. Roberts, B. Boden-Albala, and Q. Gu, “Testing the validity of the lacunar hypothesis: the northern Manhattan stroke study experience,” Neurology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 1204–1211, 1997.
- I. L. H. Knottnerus, M. Gielen, J. Lodder et al., “Family history of stroke is an independent risk factor for lacunar stroke subtype with asymptomatic lacunar infarcts at younger ages,” Stroke, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 1196–1200, 2011.
- J. Jannes, M. A. Hamilton-Bruce, L. Pilotto et al., “Tissue plasminogen activator -7351C/T enhancer polymorphism is a risk factor for lacunar stroke,” Stroke, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 1090–1094, 2004.
- P. Pullicino, P. L. Kwen, S. Greenberg, A. L. Becker, and N. Glenister, “Angiotensin-converting enzyme gene and lacunar stroke,” Stroke, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 569–570, 1996.
- A. Chamorro, M. Revilla, V. Obach, M. Vargas, and A. M. Planas, “The -174G/C polymorphism of the interleukin 6 gene is a hallmark of lacunar stroke and not other ischemic stroke phenotypes,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 91–95, 2005.
- M. Revilla, V. Obach, Á. Cervera, A. Dávalos, J. Castillo, and Á. Chamorro, “A -174G/C polymorphism of the interleukin-6 gene in patients with lacunar infarction,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 324, no. 1, pp. 29–32, 2002.
- I. Clavier, M. Hommel, G. Besson, B. Noèlle, and J. E. F. Perret, “Long-term prognosis of symptomatic lacunar infarcts: a hospital-based study,” Stroke, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 2005–2009, 1994.
- S. Melkas, J. Putaala, N. K. Oksala et al., “Small-vessel disease relates to poor poststroke survival in a 12-year follow-up,” Neurology, vol. 76, no. 8, pp. 734–739, 2011.
- B. Norrving, “Long-term prognosis after lacunar infarction,” Lancet Neurology, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 238–245, 2003.
- W. Steinke and S. C. Ley, “Lacunar stroke is the major cause of progressive motor deficits,” Stroke, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 1510–1516, 2002.
- A. V. Salgado, J. M. Ferro, and A. Gouveia-Oliveira, “Long-term prognosis of first-ever lacunar strokes: a hospital-based study,” Stroke, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 661–666, 1996.
- K. L. Furie, S. E. Kasner, R. J. Adams et al., “Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke or transient ischemic attack: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the american heart association/american stroke association,” Stroke, vol. 42, pp. 227–276, 2011.
- Z. Chen, P. Sandercock, H. Pan et al., “Indications for early aspirin use in acute ischemic stroke: a combined analysis of 40 000 randomized patients from the Chinese Acute Stroke Trial and the International Stroke Trial,” Stroke, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 1240–1249, 2000.
- J. P. Mohr, J. L. P. Thompson, R. M. Lazar et al., “A comparison of warfarin and aspirin for the prevention of recurrent ischemic stroke,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 345, no. 20, pp. 1444–1451, 2001.
- F. Gotoh, H. Tohgi, S. Hirai et al., “Cilostazol stroke prevention study: a placebo-controlled double-blind trial for secondary prevention of cerebral infarction,” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 147–157, 2000.
- Y. Shinohara, Y. Katayama, S. Uchiyama et al., “Cilostazol for prevention of secondary stroke (CSPS 2): an aspirin-controlled, double-blind, randomised non-inferiority trial,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 959–968, 2010.
- R. Collins, J. Armitage, S. Parish, P. Sleight, and R. Peto, “Effects of cholesterol-lowering with simvastatin on stroke and other major vascular events in 20 536 people with cerebrovascular disease or other high-risk conditions,” The Lancet, vol. 363, no. 9411, pp. 757–767, 2004.
- P. Amarenco, J. Bogousslavsky, A. Callahan, et al., “High-dose atorvastatin after stroke of transient ischemic attack. The stroke prevention by aggressive reduction in cholesterol levels study (SPARCL),” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, pp. 549–559, 2006.
- Y. H. Fan, V. C. T. Mok, W. W. M. Lam, A. C. F. Hui, and K. S. Wong, “Cerebral microbleeds and white matter changes in patients hospitalized with lacunar infarcts,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 251, no. 5, pp. 537–541, 2004.
- L. B. Goldstein, P. Amarenco, M. Szarek et al., “Hemorrhagic stroke in the Stroke Prevention by Aggressive Reduction in Cholesterol Levels study,” Neurology, vol. 70, no. 24, pp. 2364–2370, 2008.
- P. C. Lavallée, J. Labreuche, F. Gongora-Rivera et al., “Placebo-controlled trial of high-dose atorvastatin in patients with severe cerebral small vessel disease,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1721–1728, 2009.
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke rt-PAStroke Study Group, “Tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 333, no. 24, pp. 1581–1587, 1995.
- L. R. Caplan, “Penetrating and branch artery disease,” in Stroke: A Clinical Approach, L. R. Caplan, Ed., pp. 291–315, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 4th edition, 2009.
- T. J. Ingall, W. M. O'Fallon, K. Asplund et al., “Findings from the reanalysis of the NINDS tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke treatment trial,” Stroke, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 2418–2424, 2004.
- D. Inzitari, M. Eliasziw, B. L. Sharpe, A. J. Fox, and H. J. Barnett, “Risk factors and outcome of patients with carotid artery stenosis presenting with lacunar stroke,” Neurology, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 660–666, 2000.
- J. Boiten, P. M. Rothwell, J. Slattery, and C. P. Warlow, “Ischaemic lacunar stroke in the European Carotid Surgery Trial. Risk factors, distribution of carotid stenosis, effect of surgery and type of recurrent stroke,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 281–287, 1996.
- J. Tejada, E. Díez-Tejedor, L. Hernández-Echebarría, and O. Balboa, “Does a relationship exist between carotid stenosis and lacunar infarction?” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1404–1409, 2003.
- M. Silvestrini, P. Pasqualetti, R. Baruffaldi et al., “Cerebrovascular reactivity and cognitive decline in patients with Alzheimer disease,” Stroke, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 1010–1015, 2006.
- C. Jackson and C. Sudlow, “Comparing risks of death and recurrent vascular events between lacunar and non-lacunar infarction,” Brain, vol. 128, no. 11, pp. 2507–2517, 2005.
- I. L. H. Knottnerus, J. W. P. Govers-Riemslag, K. Hamulyak et al., “Endothelial activation in lacunar stroke subtypes,” Stroke, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1617–1622, 2010.
- A. Hassan, B. J. Hunt, M. O'Sullivan et al., “Markers of endothelial dysfunction in lacunar infarction and ischaemic leukoaraiosis,” Brain, vol. 126, no. 2, pp. 424–432, 2003.
- M. Castellanos, J. Castillo, M. M. García et al., “Inflammation-mediated damage in progressing lacunar infarctions a potential therapeutic target,” Stroke, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 982–987, 2002.
- M. G. Cortina, A. R. Campello, J. J. Conde et al., “Monocyte count is an underlying marker of lacunar subtype of hypertensive small vessel disease,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 671–676, 2008.
- M. S. V. Elkind, J. M. Luna, C. S. Coffey et al., “The levels of inflammatory markers in the treatment of stroke study (limits): inflammatory biomarkers as risk predictors after lacunar stroke,” International Journal of Stroke, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 117–125, 2010.
- P. Jerrard-Dunne, G. Cloud, A. Hassan, and H. S. Markus, “Evaluating the genetic component of ischemic stroke subtypes: a family history study,” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 1364–1369, 2003.
- J. F. Meschia, B. M. Kissela, T. G. Brott et al., “The Siblings With Ischemic Stroke Study (SWISS): a progress report,” Clinical Medicine and Research, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 12–21, 2006.
- T. J. Huynh, B. Murphy, J. A. Pettersen et al., “CT perfusion quantification of small-vessel ischemic severity,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1831–1836, 2008.
- N. S. Rost, R. M. Rahman, A. Biffi et al., “White matter hyperintensity volume is increased in small vessel stroke subtypes,” Neurology, vol. 75, no. 19, pp. 1670–1677, 2010.
- A. A. Gouw, A. Seewann, W. M. Van Der Flier et al., “Heterogeneity of small vessel disease: a systematic review of MRI and histopathology correlations,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 126–135, 2011.
- R. L. Sacco, H. C. Diener, S. Yusuf et al., “Aspirin and extended-release dipyridamole versus clopidogrel for recurrent stroke,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 12, pp. 1238–1251, 2008.
- S. Yusuf, H. C. Diener, R. L. Sacco et al., “Telmisartan to prevent recurrent stroke and cardiovascular events,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 12, pp. 1225–1237, 2008.
- O. R. Benavente, C. L. White, L. Pearce et al., “The Secondary Prevention of Small Subcortical Strokes (SPS3) study,” International Journal of Stroke, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 164–175, 2011.