Selected Papers from French-German Texture and Anisotropy MeetingView this Special Issue
Research Article | Open Access
Y.D. Zhang, C. Esling, M. Calcagnotto, M.L. Gong, H. Klein, X. Zhao, L. Zuo, "Effect of a High Magnetic Field on Eutectoid Point Shift and Texture Evolution in 0.81C-Fe Steel", Texture, Stress, and Microstructure, vol. 2008, Article ID 349854, 6 pages, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1155/2008/349854
Effect of a High Magnetic Field on Eutectoid Point Shift and Texture Evolution in 0.81C-Fe Steel
A 12 T magnetic field has been applied to the annealing process of a 0.81%C-Fe (wt.%). It is found that the magnetic field shifts the eutectoid carbon content from 0.77 wt.% to 0.83 wt.%. The statistical thermodynamic calculations were performed to calculate the eutectoid temperature change by the magnetic field. Calculation shows that the increase of the eutectoid temperature by a 12 T field is . Synchrotron radiation measurements were performed to measure the pole figures of the samples and were analyzed by MAUD to determine the bulk texture of the ferrite phase In the field-treated and non field-treated samples. Results show that although there is no specific preferred orientation appearing by applying the magnetic field, slight enhancement of (001) fiber component occurs in both the sample normal direction (ND) and the transverse direction (TD). This effect might be related to the magnetic dipolar interaction between Fe atoms in the transverse field direction.
- H. Guo and M. Enomoto, “Influence of magnetic fields on alpha/gamma equilibrium in Fe-C(-X) alloys,” Material Transactions JIM, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 911–916, 2000.
- J-K. Choi, H. Ohtsuka, Y. Xu, and W-Y. Choo, “Effects of a strong magnetic field on the phase stability of plain carbon steels,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 221–226, 2000.
- H. D. Joo, S. U. Kim, N. S. Shin, and Y. M. Koo, “An effect of high magnetic field on phase transformation in Fe-C system,” Materials Letters, vol. 43, no. 5-6, pp. 225–229, 2000.
- Y. D. Zhang, C. Esling, M. L. Gong, G. Vincent, X. Zhao, and L. Zuo, “Microstructural features induced by a high magnetic field in a hypereutectoid steel during austenitic decomposition,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 1897–1900, 2006.
- M. Shimotomai and K.-I. Maruta, “Aligned two-phase structures in Fe-C alloys,” Scripta Materialia, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 499–503, 2000.
- Y. D. Zhang, C. S. He, X. Zhao, L. Zuo, and C. Esling, “Thermodynamic and kinetic characteristics of the austenite-to-ferrite transformation under high magnetic field in medium carbon steel,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 294, no. 3, pp. 267–272, 2005.
- Y. Zhang, C. S. He, X. Zhao, C. Esling, and L. Zuo, “A New approach for rapid annealing of medium carbon steels,” Advanced Engineering Materials, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 310–313, 2004.
- Y. D. Zhang, C. Esling, J. S. Lecomte, C. S. He, X. Zhao, and L. Zuo, “Grain boundary characteristics and texture formation in a medium carbon steel during its austenitic decomposition in a high magnetic field,” Acta Materialia, vol. 53, no. 19, pp. 5213–5221, 2005.
- L. Wcislak, H. Klein, H. J. Bunge, U. Garbe, T. Tschentscher, and J. R. Schneider, “Texture analysis with high-energy synchrotron radiation,” Journal of Applied Crystallography, vol. 35, part 1, pp. 82–95, 2002.
- L. Lutterotti, S. Matthies, H.-R. Wenk, A. S. Schultz, and J. W. Richardson, “Combined texture and structure analysis of deformed limestone from time-of-flight neutron diffraction spectra,” Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 81, no. 2, 594 pages, 1997.
- D. Chateigner, L. Lutterotti, and T. Hansen, “Quantitative phase and texture analysis of ceramic matrix composites,” ILL Annual Report 97, Institut Laue-Langevin, Grenoble, France, 1998.
- E. du Tremolet de Lacheisserie, D. Gignoux, and M. Schlenker, Magnetism, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
- Y. Mou, T. Y. Hsu, and Z. Xu, “C-C interaction energy in Fe-C alloys,” Acta Metallurgica, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 325–331, 1986.
- M. Hillert, Alloy Diffusion and Thermodynamics, Metallurgical Press of China, Bejing, China, 1983.
- J. R. Lacher, “The statistics of the hydrogen palladium system,” Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, vol. 33, pp. 518–523, 1937.
- R. H. Fowler and E. A. Guggenheim, Statistical Thermodynamics, Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA, 1939.
- H. I. Aaronson, H. A. Domian, and G. M. Pound, “Thermodynamics of the austenite proeutectoid ferrite transformation. i, Fe-C alloys,” Transactions of the Metallurgical Society of AIME, vol. 236, pp. 753–767, 1966.
- “A re-examination of the thermodynamics of the proeutectoid ferrite transformation in Fe-C alloys,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 999–1008, 1978.
- M. Sakoh and M. Shimizu, “Temperature variations of magnetic susceptibility and electronic specific heat for fcc iron,” Journal of the Physical Society of Japan, vol. 37, no. 2, 565 pages, 1974.
- Y. D. Zhang, H. Faraoun, C. Esling, L. Zuo, and H. Aourag, “Paramagnetic susceptibility of ferrite and cementite obtained from ab initio calculations,” Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, vol. 299, no. 1, pp. 64–69, 2006.
- D. Jile, Introduction to Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1991.
- R. L. Orr and J. Chipman, “Thermodynamic functions of iron,” Transactions of the Metallurgical Society of AIME, vol. 239, pp. 630–633, 1967.
Copyright © 2008 Y.D. Zhang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.