- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 375140, 5 pages
Sonication: A Valuable Technique for Diagnosis and Treatment of Periprosthetic Joint Infections
13rd Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Athens, KAT Hospital, Nikis 2 Street, 14561 Athens, Greece
2Department of Microbiology, KAT Hospital, Nikis 2 Street, 14561 Athens, Greece
3Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Inselspital, University of Bern, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Received 14 July 2013; Accepted 18 August 2013
Academic Editors: S.-Y. Kim, M. S. Lee, and C. S. Mow
Copyright © 2013 D. S. Evangelopoulos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. L. del Pozo and R. Patel, “Infection associated with prosthetic joints,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 8, pp. 787–794, 2009.
- M. A. Cataldo, N. Petrosillo, M. Cipriani, R. Cauda, and E. Tacconelli, “Prosthetic joint infection: recent developments in diagnosis and management,” Journal of Infection, vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 443–448, 2010.
- S. Kurtz, K. Ong, E. Lau, F. Mowat, and M. Halpern, “Projections of primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 2005 to 2030,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 89, no. 4, pp. 780–785, 2007.
- L. Pulido, E. Ghanem, A. Joshi, J. J. Purtill, and J. Parvizi, “Periprosthetic joint infection: the incidence, timing, and predisposing factors,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 466, no. 7, pp. 1710–1715, 2008.
- P. F. M. Choong, M. M. Dowsey, D. Carr, J. Daffy, and P. Stanley, “Risk factors associated with acute hip prosthetic joint infections and outcome of treatment with a rifampinbased regimen,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 78, no. 6, pp. 755–765, 2007.
- J. E. Phillips, T. P. Crane, M. Noy, T. S. J. Elliott, and R. J. Grimer, “The incidence of deep prosthetic infections in a specialist orthopaedic hospital. A 15-year prospective survey,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 88, no. 7, pp. 943–948, 2006.
- E. Jämsen, H. Huhtala, T. Puolakka, and T. Moilanen, “Risk factors for infection after knee arthroplasty a register-based analysis of 43,149 cases,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 38–47, 2009.
- G. Peersman, R. Laskin, J. Davis, and M. Peterson, “The insall award paper: infection in total knee replacement: a retrospective review of 6489 total knee replacements,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 392, pp. 15–23, 2001.
- A. F. Widmer, “New developments in diagnosis and treatment of infection in orthopedic implants,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 33, supplement 2, pp. S94–S106, 2001.
- W. Zimmerli, “Prosthetic-joint-associated infections,” Best Practice and Research: Clinical Rheumatology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1045–1063, 2006.
- W. Zimmerli, A. Trampuz, and P. E. Ochsner, “Prosthetic-joint infections,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 16, pp. 1645–1654, 2004.
- L. Ahnfelt, P. Herberts, H. Malchau, and G. B. J. Andersson, “Prognosis of total hip replacement. A Swedisch multicenter study of 4,664 revisions,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, Supplementum, vol. 61, no. 238, pp. 1–26, 1990.
- T. P. Sculco, “The economic impact of infected joint arthroplasty,” Orthopedics, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 871–873, 1995.
- K. J. Bozic and M. D. Ries, “The impact of infection after total hip arthroplasty on hospital and surgeon resource utilization,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 87, no. 8, pp. 1746–1751, 2005.
- A. Trampuz, K. E. Piper, M. J. Jacobson et al., “Sonication of removed hip and knee prostheses for diagnosis of infection,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 357, no. 7, pp. 654–663, 2007.
- C. E. Marculescu and J. R. Cantey, “Polymicrobial prosthetic joint infections: risk factors and outcome,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 466, no. 6, pp. 1397–1404, 2008.
- E. F. Berbari, C. Marculescu, I. Sia et al., “Culture-negative prosthetic joint infection,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1113–1119, 2007.
- J. L. del Pozo and R. Patel, “The challenge of treating biofilm-associated bacterial infections,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 204–209, 2007.
- D. Malekzadeh, D. R. Osmon, B. D. Lahr, A. D. Hanssen, and E. F. Berbari, “Prior use of antimicrobial therapy is a risk factor for culture-negative prosthetic joint infection,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 468, no. 8, pp. 2039–2045, 2010.
- J. Holinka, L. Bauer, A. M. Hirschl, W. Graninger, R. Windhager, and E. Presterl, “Sonication cultures of explanted components as an add-on test to routinely conducted microbiological diagnostics improve pathogen detection,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 617–622, 2011.
- D. Neut, H. C. van der Mei, S. K. Bulstra, and H. J. Busscher, “The role of small-colony variants in failure to diagnose and treat biofilm infections in orthopedics,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 299–308, 2007.
- R. M. Donlan, “New approaches for the characterization of prosthetic joint biofilms,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 437, pp. 12–19, 2005.
- D. R. Osmon, E. F. Berbari, A. R. Berendt et al., “Diagnosis and management of prosthetic joint infection: clinical practice guidelines by the infectious diseases society of America,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2013.
- B. Fink, C. Makowiak, M. Fuerst, I. Berger, P. Schäfer, and L. Frommelt, “The value of synovial biopsy, joint aspiration and C-reactive protein in the diagnosis of late peri-prosthetic infection of total knee replacements,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 874–878, 2008.
- M. Müller, L. Morawietz, O. Hasart, P. Strube, C. Perka, and S. Tohtz, “Diagnosis of periprosthetic infection following total hip arthroplasty—evaluation of the diagnostic values of pre- and intraoperative parameters and the associated strategy to preoperatively select patients with a high probability of joint infection,” Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research, vol. 3, no. 1, article 31, 2008.
- S. W. Tohtz, M. Müller, L. Morawietz, T. Winkler, and C. Perka, “Validity of frozen sections for analysis of periprosthetic loosening membranes,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 468, no. 3, pp. 762–768, 2010.
- J. W. Costerton, P. S. Stewart, and E. P. Greenberg, “Bacterial biofilms: a common cause of persistent infections,” Science, vol. 284, no. 5418, pp. 1318–1322, 1999.
- N. Høiby, T. Bjarnsholt, M. Givskov, S. Molin, and O. Ciofu, “Antibiotic resistance of bacterial biofilms,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 322–332, 2010.
- K. E. Piper, M. J. Jacobson, R. H. Cofield et al., “Microbiologic diagnosis of prosthetic shoulder infection by use of implant sonication,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 1878–1884, 2009.
- C. S. M. Hoenders, M. C. Harmsen, and M. J. A. van Luyn, “The local inflammatory environment and microorganisms in “aseptic” loosening of hip prostheses,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 291–301, 2008.
- Y. Tamaki, Y. Takakubo, K. Goto et al., “Increased expression of toll-like receptors in aseptic loose periprosthetic tissues and septic synovial membranes around total hip implants,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 598–608, 2009.