Table of Contents Author Guidelines Submit a Manuscript
The Scientific World Journal
Volume 2017, Article ID 4530183, 5 pages
https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/4530183
Research Article

Assessment of Medication Use among University Students in Ethiopia

1Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Gondar, Gondar, Ethiopia
2Department of Clinical Pharmacy, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Gondar, Gondar, Ethiopia

Correspondence should be addressed to Dessalegn Asmelashe Gelayee; moc.liamg@rikifesed

Received 20 December 2016; Revised 2 February 2017; Accepted 15 February 2017; Published 14 March 2017

Academic Editor: Joav Merrick

Copyright © 2017 Dessalegn Asmelashe Gelayee and Gashaw Binega. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Abstract

Background. The extent, nature, and determinants of medication use of individuals can be known from drug utilization studies. Objectives. This study intended to determine medication consumption, sharing, storage, and disposal practices of university students in Northwest Ethiopia. Methods. A descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted on 404 university students selected through stratified random sampling technique. Data were collected using self-administered questionnaire and analyzed with SPSS version 20 statistical software. Pearson’s Chi-square test of independence was conducted with taken as statistically significant. Results. At 95.3% response rate, the prevalences of medication consumption and sharing were 35.3% () and 38.2% (), respectively. One hundred (26%) respondents admitted that they often keep leftover medications for future use while the rest (, 74%) discard them primarily into toilets (, 44.2%). Evidence of association existed between medication taking and year of study (), medication sharing and sex (), and medication sharing and year of study (). Conclusion. There is a high prevalence of medication consumption, medication sharing, and inappropriate disposal practices which are influenced by sex and educational status of the university students. Thus medication use related educational interventions need to be given to students in general.