- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Veterinary Medicine International
Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 202618, 10 pages
A Qualitative Assessment of the Risk of Introducing Peste des Petits Ruminants into Northern Zambia from Tanzania
1Department of Veterinary Services, Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, P.O. Box 830011, Mumbwa, Zambia
2Department of Disease Control, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Zambia, P.O. Box 32379, Lusaka, Zambia
3Independent Policy Researcher, 4639 D Santa Cruz Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46268, USA
4Department of Veterinary Medicine and Public Health, Sokoine University of Agriculture, P.O. Box 3021, Morogoro, Tanzania
Received 6 August 2013; Accepted 18 October 2013; Published 12 January 2014
Academic Editor: Timm C. Harder
Copyright © 2014 R. Chazya et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. N. Wambura, “Serological evidence of the absence of peste des petits ruminants in Tanzania,” Veterinary Record, vol. 146, no. 16, pp. 473–474, 2000.
- E. S. Swai, A. Kapaga, F. Kivaria, D. Tinuga, G. Joshua, and P. Sanka, “Prevalence and distribution of Peste des petits ruminants virus antibodies in various districts of Tanzania,” Veterinary Research Communications, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 927–936, 2009.
- J. Decapua, “Peste des petits ruminants in Southern Tanzania,” 2010, http://coalgeology.com/deadly-animal-virus-peste-des-petits-ruminantsthreatenstospread-to-southernAfrica/8302.
- FAO, Livestock Epidemic Causing Havoc in Democratic Republic of the Congo, vol. 1, FAO, Rome, Italy, 2013.
- SADC, SADC Control Strategy for Pest de Pestes Ruminants, Southern African Developmenet Community, Gaborone, Botswana, 2012.
- OIE, “Peste des petits Ruminants [PPR],” Weekly Disease Information vol. 25, no. 41, OIE, WAHID (World Animal Health Information Database), Paris, France, 2012.
- M. J. Mamabolo and E. C. Webb, Goat Production Survey-Fundamental Aspects to Model Goat Production Systems in Southern Africa-Case Study, Agricultural Commission, 2005.
- C. Devendra and M. Burns, Goat Production in the Tropics, Common wealth agricultural bureaux, Farnham royal bucks, UK, 1970.
- SADC, SADC Pestes des Petits Ruminants (PPR) Control and Eradication Working Group, SADC, Gaborone, Botswana, 2012.
- S. Geerts, “Goat Plaque or Peste des Petits Ruminants,” EAZWV Transmissible Disease Fact Sheet 25, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium, 2009.
- H. C. Chauhan, B. S. Chandel, H. N. Kher, et al., “Peste des petits ruminants virus infection in animals,” Veterinary World, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 150–155, 2009.
- A. W. Aruni, P. S. Lalitha, A. C. Mohan, P. Chitravelu, and S. P. Anbumani, “Histopathological study of a natural outbreak of Peste des petits ruminants in goats of Tamilnadu,” Small Ruminant Research, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 233–240, 1998.
- N. A. Osman, A. S. Ali, M. E. Rahman, and M. A. Fadol, “Antibody seroprevalences against Peste des Petits Ruminants (PPR) virus in sheep and goats in Sudan,” Tropical Animal Health and Production, vol. 41, no. 7, pp. 1449–1453, 2009.
- S. C. Sarker and H. Islam, “Prevalence and risk factor assessment of Peste des petits ruminants in goats in Rajshahi, Bangladesh,” Veterinary World, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 546–549, 2001.
- D. D. Kulkarni, A. U. Bhikane, M. S. Shaila, P. Varalakshmi, M. P. Apte, and B. W. Narladkar, “Peste des petits ruminants in goats in India,” Veterinary Record, vol. 138, no. 8, pp. 187–188, 1996.
- F. M. Hamdy, A. H. Dardiri, and O. Nduaka, “Etiology of the stomatitis pneumoenteritis complex in Nigerian dwarf goats,” Canadian Journal of Comparative Medicine, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 276–284, 1976.
- P. L. Roeder and T. U. Obi, “Recognising peste de petits ruminants: a field manual,” FAO Animal Health Manual 5, FAO Animal Health, Rome, Italy, 1999.
- OIE, Peste des Petits Ruminants: Disease Factsheets, 2012.
- W. P. Taylor, S. Al Busaidy, and T. Barrett, “The epidemiology of peste des petits ruminants in the Sultanate of Oman,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 341–352, 1990.
- G. R. Scot, “Rinderpest and peste des petits ruminants,” Virus Diseases of Food Animals, vol. 2, pp. 401–425, 1981.
- G. Abraham, A. Sintayehu, G. Libeau et al., “Antibody seroprevalences against peste des petits ruminants (PPR) virus in camels, cattle, goats and sheep in Ethiopia,” Preventive Veterinary Medicine, vol. 70, no. 1-2, pp. 51–57, 2005.
- NALEIC, Annual Report, vol. 52, Ministry of agriculture and livestock, Lusaka, Zambia, 2012.
- NALEIC, Peste des Petits Ruminants (PPR) Surveillance in Chama, Isoka, Lundazi, Mbala, Mpulungu and Nakonde Districts of Zambia, Department of Veterinary Services, Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock, Lusaka, Zambia, 2010.
- C. Zepeda, “World Organisation for Animal Health Seminar on Safeguarding Animal Health in Trade in the Caribbean,” Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, 1998.
- OIE, Manual of the Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals, vol. 1, Office International Des Epizooties, Paris, France, 5th edition, 2010.
- E. D. Karimuribo, P. M. Loomu, L. S. B. Mellau, et al., “Retrospective study on sero-epidemiology of peste des petits ruminants before its official confirmation in northern Tanzania in 2008,” Research Opinions in Animal and Veterinary Sciences, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 184–187, 2011.
- E. A. Muse, E. D. Karimuribo, G. C. Gitao, et al., “Epidemiological investigation into the introduction and factors for spread of Peste des Petits Ruminants, Southern Tanzania,” Onderstepoort Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. E1–E6, 2012.
- Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries Development, “Trade in Livestock between Zambia and Tanzania,” Tech. Rep., Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries Development, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, Data Collection Phase of the Research Project, 2012.
- E. A. Muse, R. B. Matondo, E. D. Karimuribo, et al., “Clinico-pathological findings of the 2011 outbreak of Peste des Petits Ruminants (PPR) in Tandahimba district, Southern Tanzania,” Research Opinions in Animal and Veterinary Sciences, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 256–262, 2012.
- R. P. Singh, B. P. Sreenivasa, P. Dhar, and S. K. Bandyopadhyay, “A sandwich-ELISA for the diagnosis of Peste des petits ruminants (PPR) infection in small ruminants using anti-nucleocapsid protein monoclonal antibody,” Archives of Virology, vol. 149, no. 11, pp. 2155–2170, 2004.
- K.-S. Choi, J.-J. Nah, Y.-J. Ko et al., “Rapid competitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for detection of antibodies to peste des petits ruminants virus,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 542–547, 2005.
- OIE, Peste des Petits Ruminants, Technical Disease Card, Scientific and Technical Department, Paris, France, 2009.
- O. M. Radostits, C. C. Gay, D. C. Blood, et al., Veterinary Medicine, W.B. Saunders, London, UK, 10th edition, 2007.