- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 496207, 10 pages
Processing and Validation of Whey-Protein-Coated Films and Laminates at Semi-Industrial Scale as Novel Recyclable Food Packaging Materials with Excellent Barrier Properties
1Innovació i Recerca Industrial i Sostenible (IRIS), Parc Mediterrani de la Tecnologia, Avenida Carl Friedrich Gauss No. 11, 08860 Castelldefels, Spain
2Material Development Department, Fraunhofer Institute for Process Engineering and Packaging IVV, Giggenhauser Straße 35, 85354 Freising, Germany
3Chair of food packaging technology, Technische Universität München, Weihenstephaner Steig 22, 85354 Freising, Germany
4Food Technology and Bioprocess Engineering, ttz Bremerhaven, Fischkai 1, 27572 Bremerhaven, Germany
5Department of Chemical Engineering, Industrial Chemistry and Materials Science, University of Pisa, Via Diotisalvi No. 2, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Received 25 August 2012; Accepted 5 January 2013
Academic Editor: Wen-Hua Sun
Copyright © 2013 E. Bugnicourt et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [25 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Markus Schmid, “Properties of Cast Films Made from Different Ratios of Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolysed Whey Protein Isolate and Glycerol,” Materials, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 3254–3269, 2013.
- Markus Schmid, Felicia Hammann, and Henning Winkler, “Technofunctional Properties of Films Made From Ethylene Vinyl Acetate/Whey Protein Isolate Compounds,” Packaging Technology and Science, 2013.
- Markus Schmid, Lesley-Virgina Hinz, Florian Wild, and Klaus Noller, “Effects of hydrolysed whey proteins on the techno-functional characteristics of whey protein-based films,” Materials, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 927–940, 2013.
- Verena Jost, Karin Kobsik, Markus Schmid, and Klaus Noller, “Influence of plasticiser on the barrier, mechanical and grease resistance properties of alginate cast films,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 110, pp. 309–319, 2014.
- Muneto Wakai, and Eva Almenar, “Effect of the presence of montmorillonite on the solubility of whey protein isolate films in food model systems with different compositions and pH,” Food Hydrocolloids, 2014.
- Markus Schmid, Kerstin Müller, Sven Sängerlaub, Andreas Stäbler, Vanessa Starck, Felix Ecker, and Klaus Noller, “Mechanical and barrier properties of thermoplastic whey protein isolate/ethylene vinyl acetate blends,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2014.
- Patrizia Cinelli, Markus Schmid, Elodie Bugnicourt, Jessica Wildner, Agostino Bazzichi, Irene Anguillesi, and Andrea Lazzeri, “Whey protein layer applied on biodegradable packaging film to improve barrier properties while maintaining biodegradability,” Polymer Degradation and Stability, 2014.
- M. Schmid, B. Krimmel, U. Grupa, and K. Noller, “Effects of thermally induced denaturation on technological-functional properties of whey protein isolate-based films,” Journal of Dairy Science, 2014.
- Markus Schmid, Sven Sängerlaub, Laura Wege, and Andreas Stäbler, “Properties of Transglutaminase Crosslinked Whey Protein Isolate Coatings and Cast Films,” Packaging Technology and Science, 2014.
- Felicia Hammann, and Markus Schmid, “Determination and Quantification of Molecular Interactions in Protein Films: A Review,” Materials, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 7975–7996, 2014.
- Markus Schmid, Sven Saengerlaub, Oliver Miesbauer, Verena Jost, Johannes Werthan, Camelia Stinga, Daniel Samain, Cornelia Stramm, Klaus Noller, and Kajetan Mueller, “Water Repellence and Oxygen and Water Vapor Barrier of PVOH-Coated Substrates before and after Surface Esterification,” Polymers, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 2764–2783, 2014.
- H. Winkler, W. Vorwerg, and M. Schmid, “Synthesis of Hydrophobic Whey Protein Isolate by Acylation with Fatty Acids,” European Polymer Journal, 2014.
- E. Bugnicourt, P. Cinelli, A. Lazzeri, and V. Alvarez, “Polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA): Review of synthesis, characteristics, processing and potential applications in packaging,” Express Polymer Letters, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 791–808, 2014.
- Markus Schmid, Jochen Held, Felicia Hammann, Daniel Schlemmer, and Klaus Noller, “Effect of UV-Radiation on the Packaging-Related Properties of Whey Protein Isolate Based Films and Coatings,” Packaging Technology and Science, 2015.
- Giovanni Barbaro, Maria Rosaria Galdi, Luciano Di Maio, and Loredana Incarnato, “Effect of BOPET film surface treatments on adhesion performance of biodegradable coatings for packaging applications,” European Polymer Journal, vol. 68, pp. 80–89, 2015.
- Markus Schmid, Katrein Reichert, Felicia Hammann, and Andreas Stäbler, “Storage time-dependent alteration of molecular interaction–property relationships of whey protein isolate-based films and coatings,” Journal of Materials Science, 2015.
- Markus Schmid, Wiebke Zillinger, Kajetan Müller, and Sven Sängerlaub, “Permeation of water vapour, nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide through whey protein isolate based films and coatings—Permselectivity and activation energy,” Food Packaging and Shelf Life, vol. 6, pp. 21–29, 2015.
- Maria-Beatrice Coltelli, Florian Wild, Elodie Bugnicourt, Patrizia Cinelli, Martina Lindner, Markus Schmid, Verena Weckel, Kerstin Müller, Pablo Rodriguez, Andreas Staebler, Laura Rodríguez-Turienzo, and Andrea Lazzeri, “State of the Art in the Development and Properties of Protein-Based Films and Coatings and Their Applicability to Cellulose Based Products: An Extensive Review,” Coatings, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1, 2015.
- Anhui Wang, Chao Xu, Chuanwei Zhang, Yunna Gan, and Bin Wang, “Experimental Investigation of the Properties of Electrospun Nanofibers for Potential Medical Application,” Journal of Nanomaterials, vol. 2015, pp. 1–8, 2015.
- Gabriele Gofferje, Markus Schmid, and Andreas Stäbler, “ Characterization of Jatropha curcas L. Protein Cast Films with respect to Packaging Relevant Properties ,” International Journal of Polymer Science, vol. 2015, pp. 1–9, 2015.
- Orli Weizman, Ana Dotan, Yiftach Nir, and Amos Ophir, “Modified whey protein coatings for improved gas barrier properties of biodegradable films,” Polymers for Advanced Technologies, 2016.
- Brajesh Singh Kushwah, Aeshwary Vikram Singh Kushwah, and Vishwajeet Singh, “Towards understanding polyhydroxyalkanoates and their use,” Journal of Polymer Research, vol. 23, no. 8, 2016.
- Patrizia Cinelli, Markus Schmid, Elodie Bugnicourt, Maria Coltelli, and Andrea Lazzeri, “Recyclability of PET/WPI/PE Multilayer Films by Removal of Whey Protein Isolate-Based Coatings with Enzymatic Detergents,” Materials, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 473, 2016.
- Martin Koller, Lukáš Maršálek, Miguel Miranda de Sousa Dias, and Gerhart Braunegg, “Producing microbial polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA) biopolyesters in a sustainable manner,” New Biotechnology, 2016.
- Joaquín Gómez-Estaca, Rafael Gavara, Ramón Catalá, and Pilar Hernández-Muñoz, “The Potential of Proteins for Producing Food Packaging Materials: A Review,” Packaging Technology and Science, 2016.