- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 519846, 7 pages
A Comparative Analysis of the Flow Properties between Two Alumina-Based Dry Powders
Chemical Engineering Department, Federal University of São Carlos, 13565-905 São Carlos, SP, Brazil
Received 17 June 2013; Revised 5 October 2013; Accepted 19 October 2013
Academic Editor: Dachamir Hotza
Copyright © 2013 Milene Minniti de Campos and Maria do Carmo Ferreira. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Z. Huang, J. Wang, and X. Ai, “Development of new ceramic cutting tools with alumina coated carbide powders,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 823–832, 2000.
- J. R. Kelly and P. Benetti, “Ceramic materials in dentistry: historical evolution and current practice,” Australian Dental Journal, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 84–96, 2011.
- A. Sommers, Q. Wang, X. Han, C. T'Joen, Y. Park, and A. Jacobi, “Ceramics and ceramic matrix composites for heat exchangers in advanced thermal systems—a review,” Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 30, no. 11-12, pp. 1277–1291, 2010.
- N. Fatah, “Study and comparison of micronic and nanometric powders: analysis of physical, flow and interparticle properties of powders,” Powder Technology, vol. 190, no. 1-2, pp. 41–47, 2009.
- S. A. Mohammed, E. C. Abdullah, D. Geldart, and A. A. A. Raman, “Measuring powder flowability with a modified Warren Spring cohesion tester,” Particuology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 148–154, 2011.
- J. J. Fitzpatrick, T. Iqbal, C. Delaney, T. Twomey, and M. K. Keogh, “Effect of powder properties and storage conditions on the flowability of milk powders with different fat contents,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 435–444, 2004.
- A. W. Jenike, Storage and Flow of Solids, Bulletin 123 of the University of Utah, vol. 53, no. 26 (Bull 123 of Utah Engineering experiment station), University of Utah, 1964.
- J. J. Fitzpatrick, S. A. Barringer, and T. Iqbal, “Flow property measurement of food powders and sensitivity of Jenike's hopper design methodology to the measured values,” Journal of Food Engineering, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 399–405, 2004.
- J. L. Amorós, G. Mallol, C. Feliu, and M. J. Orts, “Study of the rheological behaviour of monomodal quartz particle beds under stress. A model for the shear yield functions of powders,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 66, no. 18, pp. 4070–4077, 2011.
- ASTM: D6128-06, “Standard Test Method for Shear Testing of Bulk Solids Using the Jenike Shear Cell,” American Society for Testing And Materials, 2011.
- ASTM: D6773-08, “Standard Test Method for Shear Testing of Bulk Solids Using the Schulze Ring Shear Tester,” American Society for Testing And Materials, 2011.
- D. Schulze, “Measuring powder flowability: a comparison of test methods part I,” Powder and Bulk Engineering, vol. 10, no. 4, p. 12, 1996.
- D. Schulze, “Measuring powder flowability: a comparison of test methods. Part II,” Powder and Bulk Engineering, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 17–28, 1996.
- E. C. Abdullah and D. Geldart, “The use of bulk density measurements as flowability indicators,” Powder Technology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 151–165, 1999.
- E. Emery, J. Oliver, T. Pugsley, J. Sharma, and J. Zhou, “Flowability of moist pharmaceutical powders,” Powder Technology, vol. 189, no. 3, pp. 409–415, 2009.
- D. Geldart, E. C. Abdullah, A. Hassanpour, L. C. Nwoke, and I. Wouters, “Characterization of powder flowability using measurement of angle of repose,” China Particuology, vol. 4, pp. 104–107, 2006.
- J. K. Prescott and R. A. Barnum, “On powder flowability,” Pharmaceutical Technology, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 60–236, 2000.
- AOAC, Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA, 1980.
- L. G. Diniz, “Development of a program to calculate the properties of products stored in hoppers,” Tech. Rep., Department of Structural Engineering, São Carlos School of Engineering, University of São Paulo State, São Carlos, Brazil, 2010, (Portuguese).
- A. P. Silva, A. M. Segadães, and T. C. Devezas, “Application of statistical methods to optimize packing density of alumina powder size distributions,” Cerâmica, vol. 50, pp. 345–354, 2004 (Portuguese).
- D. Geldart, “Types of gas fluidization,” Powder Technology, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 285–292, 1973.
- G. Mallol, J. L. Amorós, M. J. Orts, and D. Llorens, “Densification of monomodal quartz particle beds by tapping,” Chemical Engineering Science, vol. 63, no. 22, pp. 5447–5456, 2008.
- C. R. Woodcock and J. S. Mason, Bulk Solids Handling: An Introduction to the Practice and Technology, Leonard Hill, Glasgow, UK, 1987.
- A. Castellanos, “The relationship between attractive interparticle forces and bulk behaviour in dry and uncharged fine powders,” Advances in Physics, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 263–276, 2005.
- H. Zhou, M. Götzinger, and W. Peukert, “The influence of particle charge and roughness on particle-substrate adhesion,” Powder Technology, vol. 135-136, pp. 82–91, 2003.
- H. Rumph, Particle Technology, Chapman and Hall, London, UK, 1990.
- E. Scoville and M. Peleg, “Evaluation of the effect of liquid bridges on the bulk properties of model powers,” Journal of Food Science, vol. 46, pp. 174–177, 1981.
- J. M. Valverde, A. Ramos, A. Castellanos, and P. K. Watson, “The tensile strength of cohesive powders and its relationship to consolidation, free volume and cohesivity,” Powder Technology, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 237–245, 1998.
- P. K. Watson, J. M. Valverde, and A. Castellanos, “The tensile strength and free volume of cohesive powders compressed by gas flow,” Powder Technology, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 2001.
- J. M. Valverde, A. Castellanos, and P. K. Watson, “The effect of particle size on interparticle adhesive forces for small loads,” Powder Technology, vol. 118, no. 3, pp. 236–241, 2001.