- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 937061, 9 pages
Intravesical Dimethyl Sulfoxide Inhibits Acute and Chronic Bladder Inflammation in Transgenic Experimental Autoimmune Cystitis Models
1Department of Urology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611-3008, USA
2Department of Urology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242-1089, USA
Received 8 September 2010; Accepted 20 October 2010
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2011 Ronald Kim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. W. Warren, J. Brown, J. K. Tracy, P. Langenberg, U. Wesselmann, and P. Greenberg, “Evidence-based criteria for pain of interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome in women,” Urology, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 444–448, 2008.
- D. O. Selo-Ojeme and J. L. Onwude, “Interstitial cystitis,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 216–225, 2004.
- J. Sairanen, M. Leppilahti, T. L. J. Tammela et al., “Evaluation of health-related quality of life in patients with painful bladder syndrome/interstitial cystitis and the impact of four treatments on it,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 212–219, 2009.
- N. E. Rothrock, S. K. Lutgendorf, A. Hoffman, and K. J. Kreder, “Depressive symptoms and quality of life in patients with interstitial cystitis,” Journal of Urology, vol. 167, no. 4, pp. 1763–1767, 2002.
- T. L. Ratliff, C. G. Klutke, M. Hofmeister, F. He, J. H. Russell, and M. J. Becich, “Role of the immune response in interstitial cystitis,” Clinical Immunology and Immunopathology, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 209–216, 1995.
- J. P. van de Merwe, “Interstitial cystitis and systemic autoimmune diseases,” Nature Clinical Practice Urology, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 484–491, 2007.
- R. Peeker, L. Atanasiu, and Y. Logadottir, “Intercurrent autoimmune conditions in classic and non-ulcer interstitial cystitis,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 60–63, 2003.
- J. L. Westropp and C. A. T. Buffington, “In vivo models of interstitial cystitis,” Journal of Urology, vol. 167, no. 2, pp. 694–702, 2002.
- A. D. Bullock, M. J. Becich, C. G. Klutke, and T. L. Ratliff, “Experimental autoimmune cystitis: a potential murine model for ulcerative interstitial cystitis,” Journal of Urology, vol. 148, no. 6, pp. 1951–1956, 1992.
- Y.-H. Lin, G. Liu, M. Kavran et al., “Lower urinary tract phenotype of experimental autoimmune cystitis in mouse: a potential animal model for interstitial cystitis,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 102, no. 11, pp. 1724–1730, 2008.
- H. Phull, M. Salkini, T. Purves, J. Funk, D. Copeland, and C. V. Comiter, “Angiotensin II plays a role in acute murine experimental autoimmune cystitis,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 664–667, 2007.
- S. Mitra, A. Dagher, R. Kage, R. K. Dagher, and J. Luber-Narod, “Experimental autoimmune cystitis: further characterization and serum autoantibodies,” Urological Research, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 351–356, 1999.
- J. Luber-Narod, T. Austin-Ritchie, B. Banner et al., “Experimental autoimmune cystitis in the Lewis rat: a potential animal model for interstitial cystitis,” Urological Research, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 367–373, 1996.
- W. Liu, D. P. Evanoff, X. Chen, and Y. Luo, “Urinary bladder epithelium antigen induces CD8+ T cell tolerance, activation, and autoimmune response,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 178, no. 1, pp. 539–546, 2007.
- C. Kurts, W. R. Heath, F. R. Carbone et al., “Constitutive class I-restricted exogenous presentation of self antigens in vivo,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 184, no. 3, pp. 923–930, 1996.
- W. Liu and Y. Luo, “Interruption of mast cell function effectively inhibits bladder inflammation in an autoimmune cystitis model,” Journal of Urology, vol. 179, pp. 62–63, 2008.
- W. Liu, B. R. DeYoung, X. Chen, D. P. Evanoff, and Y. Luo, “RDP58 inhibits T cell-mediated bladder inflammation in an autoimmune cystitis model,” Journal of Autoimmunity, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 257–265, 2008.
- N. C. Santos, J. Figueira-Coelho, J. Martins-Silva, and C. Saldanha, “Multidisciplinary utilization of dimethyl sulfoxide: pharmacological, cellular, and molecular aspects,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 65, no. 7, pp. 1035–1041, 2003.
- G. R. Sant, “Intravesical 50% dimethyl sulfoxide (Rimso-50) in treatment of interstitial cystitis,” Urology, vol. 29, no. 4, supplement, pp. 17–21, 1987.
- J. Parkin, C. Shea, and G. R. Sant, “Intravesical dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) for interstitial cystitis—a practical approach,” Urology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 105–107, 1997.
- R. Perez-Marrero, L. E. Emerson, and J. T. Feltis, “A controlled study of dimethyl sulfoxide in interstitial cystitis,” Journal of Urology, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 36–39, 1988.
- J. Rössberger, M. Fall, and R. Peeker, “Critical appraisal of dimethyl sulfoxide treatment for interstitial cystitis: discomfort, side-effects and treatment outcome,” Scandinavian Journal of Urology and Nephrology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 73–77, 2005.
- R. Peeker, M.-A. Haghsheno, S. Holmäng, and M. Fall, “Intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin and dimethyl sulfoxide for treatment of classic and nonulcer interstitial cystitis: a prospective, randomized double-blind study,” Journal of Urology, vol. 164, no. 6, pp. 1912–1916, 2000.
- G. M. Ghoniem, D. McBride, O. P. Sood, and V. Lewis, “Clinical experience with multiagent intravesical therapy in interstitial cystitis patients unresponsive to single-agent therapy,” World Journal of Urology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 178–182, 1993.
- L. Stout, J. M. Gerspach, S. M. Levy et al., “Dimethyl sulfoxide does not trigger urine histamine release in interstitial cystitis,” Urology, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 653–656, 1995.
- P. Tyagi, V. C. Hsieh, N. Yoshimura, J. Kaufman, and M. B. Chancellor, “Instillation of liposomes vs dimethyl sulphoxide or pentosan polysulphate for reducing bladder hyperactivity,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 104, no. 11, pp. 1689–1692, 2009.
- R. Soler, H. Bruschini, J. C. Truzzi et al., “Urinary glycosaminoglycans excretion and the effect of dimethyl sulfoxide in an experimental model of non-bacterial cystitis,” International Brazilian Journal of Urology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 503–511, 2008.
- Y. Sun and T. C. Chai, “Effects of dimethyl sulphoxide and heparin on stretch-activated ATP release by bladder urothelial cells from patients with interstitial cystitis,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 381–385, 2002.
- K.-I. Shiga, K. Hirano, J. Nishimura, N. Niiro, S. Naito, and H. Kanaide, “Dimethyl sulphoxide relaxes rabbit detrusor muscle by decreasing the Ca2+ sensitivity of the contractile apparatus,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 151, no. 7, pp. 1014–1024, 2007.
- D. Melchior, C. S. Packer, T. C. Johnson, and M. Kaefer, “Dimethyl sulfoxide: does it change the functional properties of the bladder wall?” Journal of Urology, vol. 170, no. 1, pp. 253–258, 2003.
- L. A. Birder, A. J. Kanai, and W. C. De Groat, “DMSO: effect on bladder afferent neurons and nitric oxide release,” Journal of Urology, vol. 158, no. 5, pp. 1989–1995, 1997.
- H.-T. Liu, P. Tyagi, M. B. Chancellor, and H.-C. Kuo, “Urinary nerve growth factor level is increased in patients with interstitial cystitis-bladder pain syndrome and decreased in responders to treatment,” British Journal of Urology International, vol. 104, no. 10, pp. 1476–1481, 2009.
- M. Lotz, P. Villiger, T. Hugli, J. Koziol, and B. L. Zuraw, “Interleukin-6 and interstitial cystitis,” Journal of Urology, vol. 152, no. 3, pp. 869–873, 1994.
- O. Trubiani, M. Ciancarelli, M. Rapino, and R. Di Primio, “Dimethyl sulfoxide induces programmed cell death and reversible G1 arrest in the cell cycle of human lymphoid pre-T cell line,” Immunology Letters, vol. 50, no. 1-2, pp. 51–57, 1996.
- J. Liu, H. Yoshikawa, Y. Nakajima, and K. Tasaka, “Involvement of mitochondrial permeability transition and caspase-9 activation in dimethyl sulfoxide-induced apoptosis of EL-4 lymphoma cells,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 63–74, 2001.