- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 184538, 11 pages
Topical Application Effect of the Isolectin Hydrogel (Cramoll 1,4) on Second-Degree Burns: Experimental Model
1Programa de Pós-Graduação em Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, 50670-901 Recife, PE, Brazil
2Programa de Pós-Graduação em Biociência Animal, Universidade Federal Rural de Pernambuco, 52171-900 Recife, PE, Brazil
3Laboratório de Imunopatologia Keizo Asami (LIKA), Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, 50670-901 Recife, PE, Brazil
4Divisão de Radiofarmácia, Instituto de Engenharia Nuclear, 21941-906 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
5Departamento de Patologia, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, 50670-901 Recife, PE, Brazil
6Departamento de Bioquímica, Centro de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, 50670-901 Recife, PE, Brazil
Received 24 August 2011; Revised 31 October 2011; Accepted 8 November 2011
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2012 Danielle dos Santos Tavares Pereira et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. J. Hellebrekers, “Fisiopatologia da dor em animais e sua conseqüência para a terapia analgésica,” in Dor Em Animais, pp. 69–79, Manole, São Paulo, Brazil, 2002.
- G. A. Tavares, I. Caracelli, R. Burger, M. T. S. Correia, L. C. B. B. Coelho, and G. Oliva, “Crystallization and preliminary X-ray studies on the lectin from the seeds of Cratylia mollis,” Acta Crystallographica Section D, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1046–1047, 1996.
- V. L. M. Lima, M. T. S. Correia, Y. M. N. Cechinel, C. A. M. Sampaio, J. S. Owen, and L. C. B. B. Coêlho, “Immobilized Cratylia mollis lectin as a potential matrix to isolate plasma glycoproteins, including lecithin-cholesterol acyltransferase,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 27–32, 1997.
- E. I. C. Beltrão, M. T. S. Correia, J. Figueredo-Silva, and L. C. B. B. Coelho, “Binding evaluation of isoform 1 from Cratylia mollis lectin to human mammary tissues,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology: Part A, vol. 74, no. 3, pp. 125–134, 1998.
- E. V. M. Maciel, V. S. Araújo-Filho, M. Nakazawa, Y. M. Gomes, L. C. B. B. Coelho, and M. T. S. Correia, “Mitogenic activity of Cratylia mollis lectin on human lymphocytes,” Biologicals, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 57–60, 2004.
- C. M. L. de Melo, M. C. A. B. de Castro, A. P. de Oliveira et al., “Immunomodulatory response of Cramoll 1,4 lectin on experimental lymphocytes,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1631–1636, 2010.
- C. A. S. Andrade, M. T. S. Correia, L. C. B. B. Coelho, S. C. Nascimento, and N. S. Santos-Magalhães, “Antitumor activity of Cratylia mollis lectin encapsulated into liposomes,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 278, no. 2, pp. 435–445, 2004.
- L. S. Edelman, “Social and economic factors associated with the risk of burn injury,” Burns, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 958–965, 2007.
- G. L. Kramer, T. Lund, and D. Herndon, “Pathophysiology of burn shock and burn edema,” in Total Burn Care, D. Herndon, Ed., pp. 78–87, Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2002.
- M. C. Guimarães, “História do curativo,” in Feridas e Curativos: Uma Forma Simples e Prática de Tratar, Rubio, Ed., pp. 1–3, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2011.
- M. T. S. Correia and L. C. B. B. Coelho, “Purification of a glucose/mannose specific lectin, isoform 1, from seeds of Cratylia mollis mart. (Camaratu Bean),” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 261–273, 1995.
- B. F. C. Patricio, M. H. M. Lima-Ribeiro, M. T. S. Correia, et al., “Radiolabeling of Cramoll 1,4: evaluation of the biodistribution,” International Journal of Peptides, vol. 2011, Article ID 945397, 3 pages, 2011.
- M. S. Kumar, R. Sripriya, H. V. Raghavan, and P. K. Sehgal, “Wound healing potential of Cassia fistula on infected albino rat model,” Journal of Surgical Research, vol. 131, no. 2, pp. 283–289, 2006.
- N. Roy, N. Saha, P. Humpolicek, and P. Saha, “Permeability and biocompatibility of novel medicated hydrogel wound dressings,” Soft Materials, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 338–357, 2010.
- N. Roy, N. Saha, T. Kitano, and P. Saha, “Novel hydrogels of PVP-CMC and their swelling effect on viscoelastic properties,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 1703–1710, 2010.
- A. Burd, “Evaluating the use of hydrogel sheet dressings in comprehensive burn wound care,” Ostomy Wound Management, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 52–62, 2007.
- E. Osti, “Cutaneous burns treated with hydrogel (Burnshield) and a semipermeable adhesive film,” Archives of Surgery, vol. 141, no. 1, pp. 39–42, 2006.
- J. G. Hancok and J. L. Jorizzo, “Burns,” in Manual of Dermatologic Therapeutics, K. A. Arndt and J. T. S. Hsu, Eds., Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 7th edition, 2007.
- A. D. Sezer, E. Cevher, F. Hatipoǧlu, Z. Oǧurtan, A. L. Baş, and J. Akbuǧa, “Preparation of fucoidan-chitosan hydrogel and its application as burn healing accelerator on rabbits,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 2326–2333, 2008.
- N. S. Anuar, S. S. Zahari, I. A. Taib, and M. T. Rahman, “Effect of green and ripe Carica papaya epicarp extracts on wound healing and during pregnancy,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 2384–2389, 2008.
- R. O'Leary, E. J. Wood, and P. J. Guillou, “Pathological scarring: strategic interventions,” European Journal of Surgery, vol. 168, no. 10, pp. 523–534, 2002.
- T. Yasuoka, M. Sasaki, T. Fukunaga et al., “The effects of lectins on indomethacin-induced small intestinal ulceration,” International Journal of Experimental Pathology, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 231–237, 2003.
- J. B. Messias, M. C. M. Caraciolo, I. M. Oliveira, U. R. Montarroyos, M. O. Guerra, and I. A. Souza, “Parâmetros hematológicos de Rattus norvegicus obtidos através de métodos automatizado e não automatizado,” Medicina Veterinaria, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 1–8, 2009.
- G. D. Carvalho, A. P. B. Masseno, M. S. Zanini, et al., “Avaliação clínica de ratos de laboratório (Rattus novergicus linhagem Wistar): parâmetros sanitários, biológicos e fisiológicos,” Ceres, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 51–57, 2009.
- D. C. Gore, D. L. Chinkes, D. W. Hart, S. E. Wolf, D. N. Herndon, and A. P. Sanford, “Hyperglycemia exacerbates muscle protein catabolism in burn-injured patients,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 2438–2442, 2002.
- A. A. Ferrando, M. Sheffield-Moore, S. E. Wolf, D. N. Herndon, and R. R. Wolfe, “Testosterone administration in severe burns ameliorates muscle catabolism,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 29, no. 10, pp. 1936–1942, 2001.
- Y. K. Youn, C. LaLonde, and R. Demling, “The role of mediators in the response to thermal injury,” World Journal of Surgery, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 30–36, 1992.
- C. J. Beukelman, A. J. J. van den Berg, M. J. Hoekstra, R. Uhl, K. Reimer, and S. Mueller, “Anti-inflammatory properties of a liposomal hydrogel with povidone-iodine (Repithel®) for wound healing in vitro,” Burns, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 845–855, 2008.
- M. Møller-Kristensen, M. R. Hamblin, S. Thiel, J. C. Jensenius, and K. Takahashi, “Burn injury reveals altered phenotype in mannan-binding lectin-deficient mice,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 127, no. 6, pp. 1524–1531, 2007.
- R. A. Moreira, I. L. Ainouz, J. T. de Oliveira, and B. S. Cavada, “Plant lectins, chemical and biological aspects,” Memorias do Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, vol. 86, pp. 211–218, 1991.
- B. S. Cavada, C. F. Santos, T. B. Grangeiro et al., “Purification and characterization of a lectin from seeds of Vatairea macrocarpa duke,” Phytochemistry, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 675–680, 1998.
- H. J. Gabius and S. Gabius, Glycosciences: Status and Perspectives, Wiley-VCH, New York, NY, USA, 2nd edition, 2002.
- P. S. Nunes, R. L. C. Albuquerque-Jnior, D. R. R. Cavalcante, et al., “Collagen-based films containing liposome-loaded usnic acid as dressing for dermal burn healing,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 761593, 9 pages, 2011.
- S. M. Bauer, R. J. Bauer, and O. C. Velazquez, “Angiogenesis, vasculogenesis, and induction of healing in chronic wounds,” Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 293–306, 2005.
- A. D. Sezer, E. Cevher, F. Hatipoğlu, Z. Oğurtan, A. L. Baş, and J. Akbuğa, “The use of fucosphere in the treatment of dermal burns in rabbits,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 189–198, 2008.
- E. E. Peacock Jr., “Wound healing and wound care,” in Principles of Surgery, S. I. Schwartz, Ed., p. 292, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 4th edition, 1985.
- P. L. Williams, L. H. Bannister, M. N. Berry, et al., Gray's Anatomy, Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1995.
- J. Li, J. Chen, and R. Kirsner, “Pathophysiology of acute wound healing,” Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 9–18, 2007.
- A. D. Sezer, F. Hatipoğlu, E. Cevher, Z. Oğurtan, A. L. Baş, and J. Akbuğa, “Chitosan film containing fucoidan as a wound dressing for dermal burn healing: preparation and in vitro/in vivo evaluation,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 8, no. 2, article 39, pp. E94–E101, 2007.
- C. M. L. D. Melo, C. S. Porto, and M. R. Melo Jr., “Healing activity induced by Cramoll 1,4 lectin in healthy and immunocompromised mice,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 408, no. 1-2, pp. 113–119, 2011.
- A. M. S. Assreuy, N. M. N. Alencar, B. S. Cavada et al., “Porcine spermadhesin PSP-I/PSP-II stimulates macrophages to release a neutrophil chemotactic substance: modulation by mast cells,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 68, no. 5, pp. 1836–1841, 2003.
- V. B. M. Alencar, N. M. N. Alencar, A. M. S. Assreuy et al., “Pro-inflammatory effect of Arum maculatum lectin and role of resident cells,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 1805–1814, 2005.
- A. M. Sell and C. P. da Costa, “Effects of plant lectins on in vitro fibroblast proliferation,” Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 349–354, 2003.
- S. Choi and M. H. Chung, “A review on the relationship between Aloe vera components and their biologic effects,” Seminars in Integrative Medicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 53–62, 2003.
- A. M. Sell and C. P. Costa, “Efeito inflamatório local induzido pelas lectinas PHA, WGA e Jacalina,” Arquivos de Ciências da Saúde, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 2002.