- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 915380, 8 pages
Curcumin Attenuates Gastric Cancer Induced by N-Methyl-N-Nitrosourea and Saturated Sodium Chloride in Rats
1Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
2Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok 10330, Thailand
Received 23 February 2012; Revised 31 March 2012; Accepted 1 April 2012
Academic Editor: Amr Amin
Copyright © 2012 Kawiya Sintara et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. M. Parkin, F. I. Bray, and S. S. Devesa, “Cancer burden in the year 2000. The global picture,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. S4–S66, 2001.
- D. M. Parkin, “International variation,” Oncogene, vol. 23, no. 38, pp. 6329–6340, 2004.
- C. P. Howson, T. Hiyama, and E. L. Wynder, “The decline in gastric cancer: epidemiology of an unplanned triumph,” Epidemiologic Reviews, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 1986.
- M. Kobayashi, Y. Tsubono, S. Sasazuki, S. Sasaki, and S. Tsugane, “Vegetables, fruit and risk of gastric cancer in Japan: a 10-year follow-up of the JPHC study cohort I,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 39–44, 2002.
- C. Furihata, H. Ohta, and T. Katsuyama, “Cause and effect between concentration-dependent tissue damage and temporary cell proliferation in rat stomach mucosa by NaCl, a stomach tumor promoter,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 401–406, 1996.
- M. Tatematsu, M. Takahashi, and S. Fukushima, “Effects in rats of sodium chloride on experimental gastric cancers induced by N methyl N' nitro N nitrosoguanidine or 4 nitroquinoline 1 oxide,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 101–106, 1975.
- M. Takahashi, A. Nishikawa, F. Furukawa, T. Enami, T. Hasegawa, and Y. Hayashi, “Dose-dependent promoting effects of sodium chloride (NaCl) on rat glandular stomach carcinogenesis initiated with N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1429–1432, 1994.
- S. Kato, T. Tsukamoto, T. Mizoshita et al., “High salt diets dose-dependently promote gastric chemical carcinogenesis in Helicobacter pylori-infected Mongolian gerbils associated with a shift in mucin production from glandular to surface mucous cells,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 119, no. 7, pp. 1558–1566, 2006.
- W. K. Leung, K. C. Wu, C. Y. P. Wong et al., “Transgenic cyclooxygenase-2 expression and high salt enhanced susceptibility to chemical-induced gastric cancer development in mice,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 29, no. 8, pp. 1648–1654, 2008.
- IARC, Some Aromatic Amines, Hydrazine and Related Substances, N-Nitroso Compounds and Miscellaneous Alkylating agents. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, 1974.
- C. Furihata, E. Ikui, and T. Matsushima, “DNA damaging and cell proliferative activity of 1-methyl-1-nitrosourea in rat glandular stomach mucosa,” Mutation Research, vol. 348, no. 4, pp. 169–173, 1995.
- D. J. Hoivik, J. S. Allen, H. G. Wall, J. B. Nold, R. T. Miller, and M. J. Santostefano, “Studies evaluating the utility of N-methyl-N-nitrosourea as a positive control in carcinogenicity studies in the p53+/- mouse,” International Journal of Toxicology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 349–356, 2005.
- M. Karin and F. R. Greten, “NF-κB: linking inflammation and immunity to cancer development and progression,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 5, no. 10, pp. 749–759, 2005.
- H. J. Kim, N. Hawke, and A. S. Baldwin, “NF-κB and IKK as therapeutic targets in cancer,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 738–747, 2006.
- A. Valavanidis, T. Vlachogianni, and C. Fiotakis, “8-hydroxy-2' -deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG): a critical biomarker of oxidative stress and carcinogenesis.,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health C, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 120–139, 2009.
- R. A. Sharma, A. J. Gescher, and W. P. Steward, “Curcumin: the story so far,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 41, no. 13, pp. 1955–1968, 2005.
- G. Sa and T. Das, “Anti cancer effects of curcumin: cycle of life and death,” Cell Division, vol. 3, article 14, 2008.
- B. B. Aggarwal, Y. Takada, and O. V. Oommen, “From chemoprevention to chemotherapy: common targets and common goals,” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 1327–1338, 2004.
- D. Thong-Ngam, K. Sintara, M. Chayanupatkul, N. Klaikaew, and T. Chatsuwan, “The rat models of gastric cancer using Helicobacter pylori infection, N-methyl-N-nitrosourea, and high salt induced carcinogenesis,” Thai Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 41–48, 2010.
- M. T. Huang, Y. R. Lou, W. Ma, H. L. Newmark, K. R. Reuhl, and A. H. Conney, “Inhibitory effects of dietary curcumin on forestomach, duodenal, and colon carcinogenesis in mice,” Cancer Research, vol. 54, no. 22, pp. 5841–5847, 1994.
- B. Lu, L. Xu, L. Yu, and L. Zhang, “Extract of radix curcumae prevents gastric cancer in rats,” Digestion, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 87–91, 2008.
- G. Levidou, P. Korkolopoulou, N. Nikiteas et al., “Expression of nuclear factor κB in human gastric carcinoma: relationship with IκBa and prognostic significance,” Virchows Archiv, vol. 450, no. 5, pp. 519–527, 2007.
- L. Wu, Z. Pu, J. Feng, G. Li, Z. Zheng, and W. Shen, “The ubiquitin-proteasome pathway and enhanced activity of NF-κB in gastric carcinoma,” Journal of Surgical Oncology, vol. 97, no. 5, pp. 439–444, 2008.
- M. Van Hogerlinden, B. L. Rozell, L. Ährlund-Richter, and R. Toftgård, “Squamous cell carcinomas and increased apoptosis in skin with inhibited Rel/nuclear factor-κB signaling,” Cancer Research, vol. 59, no. 14, pp. 3299–3303, 1999.
- J. S. Ross, B. V. S. Kallakury, C. E. Sheehan et al., “Expression of nuclear factor-κB and IκBα proteins in prostatic adenocarcinomas: correlation of nuclear factor-κB immunoreactivity with disease recurrence,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 2466–2472, 2004.
- C. Jobin, C. A. Bradham, M. P. Russo et al., “Curcumin blocks cytokine-mediated NF-κB activation and proinflammatory gene expression by inhibiting inhibitory factor I-κB kinase activity,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 163, no. 6, pp. 3474–3483, 1999.
- D. Wang, M. S. Veena, K. Stevenson et al., “Liposome-encapsulated curcumin suppresses growth of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma in vitro and in xenografts through the inhibition of nuclear factor κB by an AKT-independent pathway,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 19, pp. 6228–6236, 2008.
- D. Chang, F. Wang, Y. S. Zhao, and H. Z. Pan, “Evaluation of oxidative stress in colorectal cancer patients,” Biomedical and Environmental Sciences, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 286–289, 2008.
- M. Chuma, S. Hige, M. Nakanishi et al., “8-Hydroxy-2′-deoxy-guanosine is a risk factor for development of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 1431–1436, 2008.
- G. Bahar, R. Feinmesser, T. Shpitzer, A. Popovtzer, and R. M. Nagler, “Salivary analysis in oral cancer patients: DNA and protein oxidation, reactive nitrogen species, and antioxidant profile,” Cancer, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 54–59, 2007.
- X. Chen, J. Dub, and L. Gu, “Expression of 8-hydroxy-2-deoxyguanosine in gastric carcinomas,” Journal of Nanjing Medical University, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 11–14, 2007.
- V. P. Menon and A. R. Sudheer, “Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 595, pp. 105–125, 2007.
- K. H. Lee, H. E. Lee, S. J. Cho et al., “Immunohistochemical analysis of cell cycle-related molecules in gastric carcinoma: prognostic significance, correlation with clinicopathological parameters, proliferation and apoptosis,” Pathobiology, vol. 75, no. 6, pp. 364–372, 2008.
- P. V. Angadi and R. Krishnapillai, “Cyclin D1 expression in oral squamous cell carcinoma and verrucous carcinoma: correlation with histological differentiation,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. e30–e35, 2007.