- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 382027, 11 pages
Improvements in the Quantitative Assessment of Cerebral Blood Volume and Flow with the Removal of Vessel Voxels from MR Perfusion Images
1School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei 112, Taiwan
2Department of Radiology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei 112, Taiwan
3Department of Biomedical Imaging and Radiological Sciences, National Yang-Ming University, No. 155, Section 2, Li-Nong Street, Bei-Tou, Taipei 112, Taiwan
Received 13 October 2012; Revised 14 January 2013; Accepted 4 February 2013
Academic Editor: Xin-yuan Guan
Copyright © 2013 Michael Mu Huo Teng et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Calamante, D. L. Thomas, G. S. Pell, J. Wiersma, and R. Turner, “Measuring cerebral blood flow using magnetic resonance imaging techniques,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 7, pp. 701–735, 1999.
- A. Fieselmann, M. Kowarschik, A. Ganguly, J. Hornegger, and R. Fahrig, “Deconvolution-based CT and MR brain perfusion measurement: theoretical model revisited and practical implementation details,” International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, vol. 2011, Article ID 467563, 20 pages, 2011.
- K. A. Rempp, G. Brix, F. Wenz, C. R. Becker, F. Guckel, and W. J. Lorenz, “Quantification of regional cerebral blood flow and volume with dynamic susceptibility contrast-enhanced MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 193, no. 3, pp. 637–641, 1994.
- L. Østergaard, R. M. Weisskoff, D. A. Chesler, G. Gyldensted, and B. R. Rosen, “High resolution measurement of cerebral blood flow using intravascular tracer bolus passages. Part I: mathematical approach and statistical analysis,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 715–725, 1996.
- L. Østergaard, A. G. Sorensen, K. K. Kwong, R. M. Weisskoff, C. Gyldensted, and B. R. Rosen, “High resolution measurement of cerebral blood flow using intravascular tracer bolus passages. Part II: experimental comparison and preliminary results,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 726–736, 1996.
- A. G. Sorensen, W. A. Copen, L. Østergaard et al., “Hyperacute stroke: simultaneous measurement of relative cerebral blood volume, relative cerebral blood flow, and mean tissue transit time,” Radiology, vol. 210, no. 2, pp. 519–527, 1999.
- E. P. A. Vonken, M. J. P. van Osch, C. J. G. Bakker, and M. A. Viergever, “Measurement of cerebral perfusion with dual-echo multi-slice quantitative dynamic susceptibility contrast MRI,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 10, pp. 109–117, 1999.
- K. Kaneko, Y. Kuwabara, F. Mihara et al., “Validation of the CBF, CBV, and MTT values by perfusion MRI in chronic occlusive cerebrovascular disease: a comparison with 15O-PET,” Academic Radiology, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 489–497, 2004.
- C. B. Grandin, T. A. Bol, A. M. Smith, C. Michel, and G. Cosnard, “Absolute CBF and CBV measurements by MRI bolus tracking before and after acetazolamide challenge: repeatabilily and comparison with PET in humans,” NeuroImage, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 525–535, 2005.
- Y. Han, E. Li, J. Tian, J. Chen, H. Wang, and J. Dai, “The application of diffusion- and perfusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis and therapy of acute cerebral infarction,” International Journal of Biomedical Imaging, vol. 2006, Article ID 20164, 11 pages, 2006.
- J. Astrup, B. K. Siejo, and L. Symon, “Thresholds in cerebral ischemia—the ischemic penumbra,” Stroke, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 723–725, 1981.
- W. J. Powers, “Cerebral hemodynamics in ischemic cerebrovascular disease,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 231–240, 1991.
- D. H. Lee, D. W. Kang, J. S. Ahn, C. G. Choi, S. J. Kim, and D. C. Suh, “Imaging of the ischemic penumbra in acute stroke,” Korean Journal of Radiology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 64–74, 2005.
- W. L. Lin, A. Celik, C. Derdeyn et al., “Quantitative measurements of cerebral blood flow in patients with unilateral carotid artery occlusion: a PET and MR study,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 659–667, 2001.
- D. Ziegelitz, G. Starck, I. K. Mikkelsen et al., “Absolute quantification of cerebral blood flow in neurologically normal volunteers: dynamic-susceptibility contrast MRI-perfusion compared with Computed Tomography (CT)-perfusion,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 56–65, 2009.
- L. Knutsson, S. Börjesson, E. M. Larsson et al., “Absolute quantification of cerebral blood flow in normal volunteers: correlation between Xe-133 SPECT and dynamic susceptibility contrast MRI,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 913–920, 2007.
- M. J. P. van Osch, E. P. A. Vonken, C. J. G. Bakker, and M. A. Viergever, “Correcting partial volume artifacts of the arterial input function in quantitative cerebral perfusion MRI,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 45, pp. 477–485, 2001.
- M. J. P. van Osch, E. J. P. A. Vonken, M. A. Viergever, J. van der Grond, and C. J. G. Bakker, “Measuring the arterial input function with gradient echo sequences,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 1067–1076, 2003.
- B. F. Kjølby, L. Østergaard, and V. G. Kiselev, “Theoretical model of intravascular paramagnetic tracers. Effect on tissue relaxation,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 56, pp. 187–197, 2006.
- K. Kudo, S. Terae, C. Katoh et al., “Quantitative cerebral blood flow measurement with dynamic perfusion CT using the vascular-pixel elimination method: comparison with H215O positron emission tomography,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 419–426, 2003.
- A. Waaijer, I. C. van der Schaaf, B. K. Velthuis et al., “Reproducibility of quantitative CT brain perfusion measurements in patients with symptomatic unilateral carotid artery stenosis,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 927–932, 2007.
- K. E. Sakaie, W. Shin, K. R. Curtin, R. M. McCarthy, T. A. Cashen, and T. J. Carroll, “Method for improving the accuracy of quantitative cerebral perfusion imaging,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 512–519, 2005.
- K. L. Leenders, D. Perani, A. A. Lammertsma et al., “Cerebral blood flow, blood volume and oxygen utilization: normal values and effect of age,” Brain, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 27–47, 1990.
- P. Mukherjee, H. C. Kang, T. O. Videen, R. C. McKinstry, W. J. Powers, and C. P. Derdeyn, “Measurement of cerebral blood flow in chronic carotid occlusive disease: comparison of dynamic susceptibility contrast perfusion MR imaging with positron emission tomography,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 862–871, 2003.
- N. Otsu, “A threshold selection method from gray-level histograms,” IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 62–66, 1979.
- Y. H. Kao, M. M. H. Teng, K. C. Liu, I. P. Lam, and Y. C. Lin, “Hemodynamic segmentation of MR perfusion images in patients with unilateral carotid stenosis using independent component analysis,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 1125–1132, 2008.
- O. Wu, L. Østergaard, R. M. Weisskoff, T. Benner, B. R. Rosen, and A. G. Sorensen, “Tracer arrival timing-insensitive technique for estimating flow in MR perfusion-weighted imaging using singular value decomposition with a block-circulant deconvolution matrix,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 164–174, 2003.
- O. Wu, L. Ostergaard, W. J. Koroshetz, et al., “Effects of tracer arrival time on flow estimates in MR perfusion-weighted imaging,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 856–864, 2003.
- Y. H. Kao, M. M. H. Teng, W. Y. Zheng, F. C. Chang, and Y. F. Chen, “Removal of CSF pixels on brain MR perfusion images using first several images and Otsu's thresholding technique,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 743–748, 2010.
- B. D. Murphy, A. J. Fox, D. H. Lee et al., “Identification of penumbra and infarct in acute ischemic stroke using computed tomography perfusion-derived blood flow and blood volume measurements,” Stroke, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 1771–1777, 2006.
- J. L. Boxerman, L. M. Hamberg, B. R. Rosen, and R. M. Weisskoff, “MR contrast due to intravascular magnetic susceptibility perturbations,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 555–566, 1995.
- T. Ernst, L. Chang, L. Itti, and O. Speck, “Correlation of regional cerebral blood flow from perfusion MRI and spect in normal subjects,” Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 349–354, 1999.
- T. J. Carroll, V. Teneggi, M. Jobin et al., “Absolute quantification of cerebral blood flow with magnetic resonance, reproducibility of the method, and comparison with H215O positron emission tomography,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 22, no. 9, pp. 1149–1156, 2002.
- W. Shin, S. Horowitz, A. Ragin, Y. Chen, M. Walker, and T. J. Carroll, “Quantitative cerebral perfusion using dynamic susceptibility contrast MRI: evaluation of reproducibility and age- and gender-dependence with fully automatic image postprocessing algorithm,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1232–1241, 2007.
- F. Y. Chiu, Y. H. Kao, M. M. H. Teng, et al., “Validation and absolute quantification of MR perfusion compared with CT perfusion in patients with unilateral cerebral arterial stenosis,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 81, pp. 4087–4093, 2012.