- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 469180, 12 pages
Effects of an Agaricus blazei Aqueous Extract Pretreatment on Paracetamol-Induced Brain and Liver Injury in Rats
Department of Biochemistry, University of Maringá, 87020900 Maringá, PR, Brazil
Received 15 May 2013; Accepted 2 July 2013
Academic Editor: Filippo De Simone
Copyright © 2013 Andréia A. Soares et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. M. Peralta, A. L. De Oliveira, G. J. Eler, A. A. Soares, and A. Bracht, “Funcional properties of edible and medicinal mushrooms,” Current Trends in Microbiology, vol. 4, pp. 45–60, 2008.
- I. C. F. R. Ferreira, L. Barros, and R. M. V. Abreu, “Antioxidants in wild mushrooms,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1543–1560, 2009.
- Z. R. Guterrez, M. S. Mantovani, A. F. Eira, L. R. Ribeiro, and B. Q. Jordão, “Variation of the antimutagenicity effects of water extracts of Agaricus blazei Murrill in vitro,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 301–309, 2004.
- R. C. R. N. Menoli, M. S. Mantovani, L. R. Ribeiro, G. Speit, and B. Q. Jordão, “Antimutagenic effects of the mushroom Agaricus blazei Murrill extracts on V79 cells,” Mutation Research, vol. 496, no. 1-2, pp. 5–13, 2001.
- M. F. Bellini, J. P. F. Angeli, R. Matuo, A. P. Terezan, L. R. Ribeiro, and M. S. Mantovani, “Antigenotoxicity of Agaricus blazei mushroom organic and aqueous extracts in chromosomal aberration and cytokinesis block micronucleus assays in CHO-k1 and HTC cells,” Toxicology in Vitro, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 355–360, 2006.
- F. Firenzuoli, L. Gori, and G. Lombardo, “The medicinal mushroom Agaricus blazei murrill: review of literature and pharmaco-toxicological problems,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 3–15, 2008.
- T. Mizuno, “Health foods and medicinal usages of mushrooms,” Food Review International, vol. 11, pp. 69–91, 1995.
- P. R. S. Kodavanti, U. M. Joshi, R. A. Young, E. F. Meydrech, and H. M. Mehendale, “Protection of hepatotoxic and lethal effects of CCl4 by partial hepatectomy,” Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 494–505, 1989.
- Y.-H. Shieh, C.-F. Liu, Y.-K. Huang et al., “Evaluation of the hepatic and renal-protective effects of ganoderma lucidum in mice,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 29, no. 3-4, pp. 501–507, 2001.
- Y.-W. Wu, K.-D. Chen, and W.-C. Lin, “Effect of Ganoderma tsugae on chronically carbon tetrachloride-intoxicated rats,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 841–850, 2004.
- C.-H. Hsu, K.-C. Hwang, Y.-H. Chiang, and P. Chou, “The mushroom Agaricus blazei Murill extract normalizes liver function in patients with chronic hepatitis B,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 299–301, 2008.
- L. F. Barbisan, M. Miyamoto, C. Scolastici et al., “Influence of aqueous extract of Agaricus blazei on rat liver toxicity induced by different doses of diethylnitrosamine,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 83, no. 1-2, pp. 25–32, 2002.
- A. L. De Oliveira, G. J. Eler, A. Bracht, and R. M. Peralta, “Purinergic effects of a hydroalcoholic Agaricus brasiliensis (A. blazei) extract on liver functions,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 7202–7210, 2010.
- V. E. C. Ooi, “Hepatoprotective effect of some edible mushrooms,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 10, pp. 536–538, 1996.
- N. Kaplowitz, “Idiosyncratic drug hepatotoxicity,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 489–499, 2005.
- C. I. Ghanem, M. L. Ruiz, S. S. M. Villanueva et al., “Effect of repeated administration with subtoxic doses of acetaminophen to rats on enterohepatic recirculation of a subsequent toxic dose,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 77, no. 10, pp. 1621–1628, 2009.
- Y.-H. Chen, F.-Y. Lin, P.-L. Liu et al., “Antioxidative and hepatoprotective effects of magnolol on acetaminophen-induced liver damage in rats,” Archives of Pharmacal Research, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 221–228, 2009.
- G. Burnstock, “Pathophysiology and therapeutic potential of purinergic signaling,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 58–86, 2006.
- O. H. Lowry, N. J. Rosebrough, A. L. Farr, and R. J. Randall, “Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 193, no. 1, pp. 265–275, 1951.
- A. M. Itinose, M. L. Doi-Sakuno, and A. Bracht, “Metabolic effects of acetaminophen. Studies in the isolated perfused rat liver,” Cell Biochemistry and Function, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 263–273, 1989.
- E. J. Oliveira, D. G. Watson, and N. S. Morton, “A simple microanalytical technique for the determination of paracetamol and its main metabolites in blood spots,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 803–809, 2002.
- H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, and K. Yagi, “Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1979.
- A. Bhattacharya, R. A. Lawrence, A. Krishnan, K. Zaman, D. Sun, and G. Fernandes, “Effect of dietary n-3 and n-6 oils with and without food restriction on activity of antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in livers of cyclophosphamide treated autoimmune-prone NZB/W female mice,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 388–399, 2003.
- S. J. Posadas, V. Caz, C. Largo et al., “Protective effect of supercritical fluid rosemary extract, Rosmarinus officinalis, on antioxidants of major organs of aged rats,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 44, no. 6-7, pp. 383–389, 2009.
- P. J. Hissin and R. H. Hilf, “A fluorometric method for determination of oxidized and reduced glutathione in tissues,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 214–226, 1976.
- G. L. Ellman, “Tissue sulfhydryl groups,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 82, no. 1, pp. 70–77, 1959.
- J. Sedlak and R. H. Lindsay, “Estimation of total, protein-bound, and nonprotein sulfhydryl groups in tissue with Ellman's reagent,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 25, no. C, pp. 192–205, 1968.
- H. Aebi, “Catalase,” in Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, H. U. Bergmeyer, Ed., Chemie-Academic Press, London, UK, 1974.
- H. U. Bergmeyer, Ed., Methods of Enzymatic Analysis, Chemie-Academic Press, London, UK, 1974.
- S. Marklund and G. Marklund, “Involvement of the superoxide anion radical in the autoxidation of pyrogallol and a convenient assay for superoxide dismutase,” European Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 469–474, 1974.
- D. E. Paglia and W. N. Valentine, “Studies on the quantitative and qualitative characterization of erythrocyte glutathione peroxidase,” The Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 158–169, 1967.
- A. L. Tappel, “Glutathione peroxidase and hydroperoxides,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 52, no. C, pp. 506–513, 1978.
- R. Scholz and T. Bücher, “Hemoglobin-free perfusion of rat liver,” in Control of Energy Metabolism, B. Chance, R. W. Estabrook, and J. R. Williamson, Eds., Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1965.
- A. Bracht, E. L. Ishii-Iwamoto, and A. M. Kelmer-Bracht, “O estudo do metabolismo no fígado em perfusão,” in Métodos de Laboratório em Bioquimica, A. Bracht and E. L. Ishii-Iwamoto, Eds., Editora Manole, São Paulo, Brazil, 2003.
- J. Folch, M. Lees, and G. H. Stanley, “A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 226, no. 1, pp. 497–509, 1957.
- Z.-M. Lu, W.-Y. Tao, X.-L. Zou, H.-Z. Fu, and Z.-H. Ao, “Protective effects of mycelia of Antrodia camphorata and Armillariella tabescens in submerged culture against ethanol-induced hepatic toxicity in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 160–164, 2007.
- R. B. Bazotte, J. Constantin, N. S. Hell, and A. Bracht, “Hepatic metabolism of meal-fed rats: studies in vivo and in the isolated perfused liver,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 247–253, 1990.
- R. B. Bazotte, J. Constantin, R. Curi, F. S. Kemmelmeier, N. S. Hell, and A. Bracht, “The sensitivity of glycogenolysis to glucagon, epinephrine and cyanide in livers from rats in different metabolic conditions,” Research Communications in Chemical Pathology and Pharmacology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 193–203, 1989.
- A. M. Itinose, M. L. Doi-Sakuno, and A. Bracht, “N-acetylcysteine stimulates hepatic glycogen deposition in the rat,” Research Communications in Chemical Pathology and Pharmacology, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 1994.
- A. A. Soares, C. G. M. de Souza, F. M. Daniel, G. P. Ferrari, S. M. G. da Costa, and R. M. Peralta, “Antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of Agaricus brasiliensis (Agaricus blazei Murril) in two stages of maturity,” Food Chemistry, vol. 112, no. 4, pp. 775–781, 2009.
- A. E. S. S. Carvajal, E. A. Koehnlein, A. A. Soares et al., “Bioactives of fruiting bodies and submerged culture mycelia of Agaricus brasiliensis (A. blazei) and their antioxidant properties,” LWT-Food Science and Technology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 493–499, 2012.
- F. Shahidi and P. K. Wanasundara, “Phenolic antioxidants,” Critical reviews in food science and nutrition, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 67–103, 1992.
- Y.-B. Ker, K.-C. Chen, C.-C. Chyau et al., “Antioxidant capability of polysaccharides fractionated from submerge-cultured Agaricus blazei mycelia,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 18, pp. 7052–7058, 2005.
- L. V. Xiru, L. Guo, M. Chang, Z. Li, G. Wang, and C. Fend, “Activity of polysaccharide from Agaricus blazei Murrill,” Acta Edulis Fungi, vol. 17, pp. 73–75, 2010.
- S. A. Nada, E. A. Omara, O. M. E. Abdel-Salam, and H. G. Zahran, “Mushroom insoluble polysaccharides prevent carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in rat,” Food and Chemical Toxicology, vol. 48, no. 11, pp. 3184–3188, 2010.
- F. M. Refaie, A. Y. Esmat, A. S. Daba, W. M. Osman, and S. M. Taha, “Hepatoprotective activity of polysaccharopeptides from Pleurotus ostreatus mycelium on thioacetamide-intoxicated mice,” Micologia Aplicada International, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 1–13, 2010.
- Y.-R. Zhang, D.-W. Wang, Y.-Y. Zhang, T.-T. Liu, and Y. Li, “Preparation, characterization and properties of Agaricus blazei murill oligopeptide,” Chemical Journal of Chinese Universities, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 293–296, 2009.
- V. Ramkumar, Z. Nie, L. P. Rybak, and S. B. Maggirwar, “Adenosine, antioxidant enzymes and cytoprotection,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 283–285, 1995.
- Z. Nie, Y. Mei, M. Ford et al., “Oxidative stress increases A1 adenosine receptor expression by activating nuclear factor κB,” Molecular Pharmacology, vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 663–669, 1998.
- M.-F. Wu, Y.-M. Hsu, M.-C. Tang et al., “Agaricus blazei Murill extract abrogates CCl4-induced liver injury in rats,” In Vivo, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2011.
- Z. Fedatto Jr., E. L. Ishii-Iwamoto, C. B. Amado et al., “Gluconeogenesis in the liver of arthritic rats,” Cell Biochemistry and Function, vol. 17, pp. 271–278, 1999.
- A. O. Christoff, A. de Oliveira, O. M. Chaim et al., “Effects of the venom and the dermonecrotic toxin LiRecDT1 of Loxosceles intermedia in the rat liver,” Toxicon, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 695–704, 2008.
- A. M. Kelmer-Bracht, A. C. Broetto-Biazon, A. B. De Sá-Nakanishi, E. L. Ishii-Iwamoto, and A. Bracht, “Low doses of tumour necrosis factor α and interleukin 1β diminish hepatic gluconeogenesis from alanine in vivo,” Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 335–339, 2006.
- M. Kuwajima, C. B. Newgard, D. W. Foster, and J. D. McGarry, “The glucose-phosphorylating capacity of liver as measured by three independent assays. Implications for the mechanism of hepatic glycogen synthesis,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 261, no. 19, pp. 8849–8853, 1986.
- S. R. Setty, A. A. Quereshi, A. H. M. V. Swamy et al., “Hepatoprotective activity of Calotropis procera flowers against paracetamol-induced hepatic injury in rats,” Fitoterapia, vol. 78, no. 7-8, pp. 451–454, 2007.