- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 638043, 13 pages
Platelet-Rich Fibrin Promotes Periodontal Regeneration and Enhances Alveolar Bone Augmentation
1UIC Brodie Laboratory for Craniofacial Genetics, 801 South Paulina, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
2Department of Implantology, Stomatological Hospital, Jilin University, Changchun, Jilin 130021, China
3Department of Endodontics, School of Dentistry, Harbin Medical University, Harbin, China
4Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, UIC College of Dentistry, Chicago, IL, USA
5The First Hospital of Jilin University, Jilin, China
Received 12 November 2012; Revised 2 January 2013; Accepted 4 January 2013
Academic Editor: Brian L. Foster
Copyright © 2013 Qi Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. J. Dangaria, Y. Ito, C. Walker, R. Druzinsky, X. Luan, and T. G. H. Diekwisch, “Extracellular matrix-mediated differentiation of periodontal progenitor cells,” Differentiation, vol. 78, no. 2-3, pp. 79–90, 2009.
- S. J. Dangaria, Y. Ito, X. Luan, and T. G. Diekwisch, “Successful periodontal ligament regeneration by periodontal progenitor preseeding on natural tooth root surfaces,” Stem Cells, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1659–1668, 2011.
- A. Hollander, P. Macchiarini, B. Gordijn, and M. Birchall, “The first stem cell-based tissue-engineered organ replacement: implications for regenerative medicine and society,” Regenerative Medicine, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 147–148, 2009.
- J. Choukroun, F. Adda, C. Schoeffer, and A. Vervelle, “PRF: an opportunity in perio- implantology,” Implantodontie, vol. 42, pp. 55–62, 2000.
- D. M. Dohan, J. Choukroun, A. Diss et al., “Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF): a second-generation platelet concentrate. Part II: platelet-related biologic features,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. E45–E50, 2006.
- W. Bensaïd, J. T. Triffitt, C. Blanchat, K. Oudina, L. Sedel, and H. Petite, “A biodegradable fibrin scaffold for mesenchymal stem cell transplantation,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 14, pp. 2497–2502, 2003.
- Y. H. Kang, S. H. Jeon, J. Y. Park et al., “Platelet-rich fibrin is a bioscaffold and reservoir of growth factors for tissue regeneration,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 17, no. 3-4, pp. 349–359, 2011.
- L. He, Y. Lin, X. Hu, Y. Zhang, and H. Wu, “A comparative study of platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) and platelet-rich plasma (PRP) on the effect of proliferation and differentiation of rat osteoblasts in vitro,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 108, no. 5, pp. 707–713, 2009.
- D. M. D. Ehrenfest, A. Diss, G. Odin, P. Doglioli, M. P. Hippolyte, and J. B. Charrier, “In vitro effects of Choukroun's PRF (platelet-rich fibrin) on human gingival fibroblasts, dermal prekeratinocytes, preadipocytes, and maxillofacial osteoblasts in primary cultures,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 108, no. 3, pp. 341–352, 2009.
- J. Choukroun, A. Diss, A. Simonpieri et al., “Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF): a second-generation platelet concentrate. Part IV: clinical effects on tissue healing,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. E56–E60, 2006.
- M. T. Peck, J. Marnewick, and L. Stephen, “Alveolar ridge preservation using leukocyte and platelet-rich fibrin: a report of a case,” Case Reports in Dentistry, vol. 2011, Article ID 345048, 5 pages, 2011.
- A. Sharma and A. R. Pradeep, “Treatment of 3-wall intrabony defects in patients with chronic periodontitis with autologous platelet-rich fibrin: a randomized controlled clinical trial,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 82, no. 12, pp. 1705–1712, 2011.
- M. Thorat, A. R. Pradeep, and B. Pallavi, “Clinical effect of autologous platelet-rich fibrin in the treatment of intra-bony defects: a controlled clinical trial,” Journal of Clinical Periodontology, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 925–932, 2011.
- F. Inchingolo, M. Tatullo, M. Marrelli et al., “Trial with platelet-rich fibrin and Bio-Oss used as grafting materials in the treatment of the severe maxillar bone atrophy: clinical and radiological evaluations,” European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 1075–1084, 2010.
- Y. Zhang, S. Tangl, C. D. Huber, Y. Lin, L. Qiu, and X. Rausch-Fan, “Effects of Choukroun's platelet-rich fibrin on bone regeneration in combination with deproteinized bovine bone mineral in maxillary sinus augmentation: a histological and histomorphometric study,” Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 321–328, 2011.
- C. H. Tsai, S. Y. Shen, J. H. Zhao, and Y. C. Chang, “Platelet-rich fibrin modulates cell proliferation of human periodontally related cells in vitro,” Journal of Dental Sciences, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 130–135, 2009.
- Y. C. Chang and J. H. Zhao, “Effects of platelet-rich fibrin on human periodontal ligament fibroblasts and application for periodontal infra-bony defects,” Australian Dental Journal, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 365–371, 2011.
- D. M. Dohan, J. Choukroun, A. Diss et al., “Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF): a second-generation platelet concentrate. Part I: technological concepts and evolution,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. E37–E44, 2006.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.
- E. Sachlos and J. T. Czernuszka, “Making tissue engineering scaffolds work. Review: the application of solid freeform fabrication technology to the production of tissue engineering scaffolds,” European Cells & Materials Journal, vol. 5, pp. 29–39, 2003.
- X. Luan, Y. Ito, S. Dangaria, and T. G. H. Diekwisch, “Dental follicle progenitor cell heterogeneity in the developing mouse periodontium,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 595–608, 2006.
- S. Tsuchiya, S. Ohshima, Y. Yamakoshi, J. P. Simmer, and M. J. Honda, “Osteogenic differentiation capacity of porcine dental follicle progenitor cells,” Connective Tissue Research, vol. 51, no. 3, pp. 197–207, 2010.
- J. M. Karp, F. Sarraf, M. S. Shoichet, and J. E. Davies, “Fibrin-filled scaffolds for bone-tissue engineering: an in vivo study,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 162–171, 2004.
- R. T. Franceschi and G. Xiao, “Regulation of the osteoblast-specific transcription factor, Runx2: responsiveness to multiple signal transduction pathways,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 446–454, 2003.
- B. Newman, L. I. Gigout, L. Sudre, M. E. Grant, and G. A. Wallis, “Coordinated expression of matrix Gla protein is required during endochondral ossification for chondrocyte survival,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 154, no. 3, pp. 659–666, 2001.
- D. M. D. Ehrenfest, G. M. de Peppo, P. Doglioli, and G. Sammartino, “Slow release of growth factors and thrombospondin-1 in Choukroun's platelet-rich fibrin (PRF): a gold standard to achieve for all surgical platelet concentrates technologies,” Growth Factors, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 63–69, 2009.
- Q. Li, Y. Geng, L. Lu, T. Yang, M. Zhang, and Y. Zhou, “Platelet-rich fibrin-induced bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell differentiation into osteoblast-like cells and neural cells,” Neural Regeneration Research, vol. 6, no. 31, pp. 2419–2423, 2011.
- F. Clipet, S. Tricot, N. Alno et al., “In vitro effects of Choukroun's platelet-rich fibrin conditioned medium on 3 different cell lines implicated in dental implantology,” Implant Dentistry, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 51–56, 2012.
- D. M. Dohan, J. Choukroun, A. Diss et al., “Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF): a second-generation platelet concentrate. Part III: leucocyte activation: a new feature for platelet concentrates?” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. E51–E55, 2006.
- R. A. F. Clark, J. M. Lanigan, and P. DellaPelle, “Fibronectin and fibrin provide a provisional matrix for epidermal cell migration during wound reepithelialization,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 264–269, 1982.
- J. Choukroun, A. Diss, A. Simonpieri et al., “Platelet-rich fibrin (PRF): a second-generation platelet concentrate. Part V: histologic evaluations of PRF effects on bone allograft maturation in sinus lift,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontology, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 299–303, 2006.
- A. Simonpieri, J. Choukroun, M. D. Corso, G. Sammartino, and D. M. D. Ehrenfest, “Simultaneous sinus-lift and implantation using microthreaded implants and leukocyte- and platelet-rich fibrin as sole grafting material: a six-year experience,” Implant Dentistry, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 2–12, 2011.
- R. Dimitriou, E. Jones, D. McGonagle, and P. V. Giannoudis, “Bone regeneration: current concepts and future directions,” BMC Medicine, vol. 3, no. 9, p. 66, 2011.
- F. Carinci, A. Farina, U. Zanetti et al., “Alveolar ridge augmentation: a comparative longitudinal study between calvaria and iliac crest bone grafrs,” The Journal of oral implantology, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 39–45, 2005.
- D. M. D. Ehrenfest, P. Doglioli, G. M. de Peppo, M. Del Corso, and J. B. Charrier, “Choukroun's platelet-rich fibrin (PRF) stimulates in vitro proliferation and differentiation of human oral bone mesenchymal stem cell in a dose-dependent way,” Archives of Oral Biology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 185–194, 2010.