- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 109019, 11 pages
A Novel Method for Simulating the Extracellular Matrix in Models of Tumour Growth
1Institute of Medical Engineering, University of Lübeck, 23562 Lübeck, Germany
2Centre of Excellence for Technology and Engineering in Medicine (TANDEM), University of Lübeck, 23562 Lübeck, Germany
3Graduate School for Computing in Medicine and Life Sciences, University of Lübeck, 23562 Lübeck, Germany
Received 17 April 2012; Revised 1 June 2012; Accepted 11 June 2012
Academic Editor: Quan Long
Copyright © 2012 Alina Toma et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. Konukoglu, O. Clatz, B. H. Menze et al., “Image guided personalization of reaction-diffusion type tumor growth models using modified anisotropic eikonal equations,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 77–95, 2010.
- A. Mang, A. Toma, T. A. Schuetz et al., “Biophysical modeling of brain tumor progression: from unconditionally stable explicit time integration to an inverse problem with parabolic pde constraints for model calibration,” Medical Physics, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 4444–4460, 2012.
- A. R. Kansal, S. Torquato, G. R. Harsh IV, E. A. Chiocca, and T. S. Deisboeck, “Cellular automaton of idealized brain tumor growth dynamics,” BioSystems, vol. 55, no. 1–3, pp. 119–127, 2000.
- K. A. Rejniak and A. R. A. Anderson, “Hybrid models of tumor growth,” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 115–125, 2011.
- A. Toma, A. Mang, S. Becker, T. A. Schütz, and T. M. Buzug, “A microscopic model of avascular tumor growth,” in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Systems Biology, vol. P02.572, p. 201, Edinburgh, UK, 2010.
- C. Athale, Y. Mansury, and T. S. Deisboeck, “Simulating the impact of a molecular-decision-process on cellular phenotype and multicellular patterns in brain tumors,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 233, no. 4, pp. 469–481, 2005.
- J. Godlewski, M. O. Nowicki, A. Bronisz et al., “MicroRNA-451 regulates LKB1/AMPK signaling and allows adaptation to metabolic stress in glioma cells,” Molecular Cell, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 620–632, 2010.
- T. A. Schütz, A. Toma, S. Becker, A. Mang, and T. M. Buzug, “Computational multiscale modeling of brain tumor growth,” in Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Computational Biology, p. G21, Ghent, Belgium, 2010.
- G. Stamatakos, E. Kolokotroni, D. Dionysiou, E. Georgiadi, and C. Desmedt, “An advanced discrete state-discrete event multiscale simulation model of the response of a solid tumor to chemotherapy: mimicking a clinical study,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 266, no. 1, pp. 124–139, 2010.
- T. Alarcon, M. R. Owen, H. Byrne, and P. K. Maini, “Multiscale modelling of tumour growth and therapy: the influence of vessel normalisation on chemotherapy,” Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 7, no. 2-3, pp. 85–119, 2006.
- A. Toma, A. Mang, T. A. Schütz, S. Becker, and T. M. Buzug, “An efficient regular lattice approach for discrete modelling of tumour growth,” in Proceedings of the 25th International Congress and Exhibition, vol. 6 of International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, pp. S360–S361, Berlin, Germany, 2011.
- S. C. Ferreira Jr., M. L. Martins, and M. J. Vilela, “A reaction-diffusion model for the growth of avascular tumor,” Physical Review E, vol. 65, no. 2, Article ID 021907, 8 pages, 2002.
- H. Hatzikirou and A. Deutsch, “Cellular automata as microscopic models of cell migration in heterogeneous environments,” Current Topics in Developmental Biology, vol. 81, pp. 401–434, 2008.
- L. L. Chen, S. Ulmer, and T. S. Deisboeck, “An agent-based model identifies MRI regions of probable tumor invasion in a patient with glioblastoma,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 329–338, 2010.
- D. Dréau, D. Stanimirov, T. Carmichael, and M. Hadzikadic, “An agent-based model of solid tumor progression,” Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, vol. 5462, pp. 187–198, 2009.
- A. R. A. Anderson, “A hybrid mathematical model of solid tumour invasion: the importance of cell adhesion,” Mathematical Medicine and Biology, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 163–186, 2005.
- N. Bellomo, N. K. Li, and P. K. Maini, “On the foundations of cancer modelling: selected topics, speculations, and perspectives,” Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 593–646, 2008.
- J. Jeon, V. Quaranta, and P. T. Cummings, “An off-lattice hybrid discrete-continuum model of tumor growth and invasion,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 37–47, 2010.
- V. Andasari, A. Gerisch, G. Lolas, A. South, and M. Chaplain, “Mathematical modeling of cancer cell invasion of tissue: biological insight from mathematical analysis and computational simulation,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 141–171, 2011.
- A. R. A. Anderson, K. Rejniak, P. Gerlee, and V. Quaranta, “Modelling of cancer growth, evolution and invasion: bridging scales and models,” Mathematical Modelling of Natural Phenomena, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 1–29, 2007.
- A. R. A. Anderson, K. Rejniak, P. Gerlee, and V. Quaranta, “Microenvironment driven invasion: a multiscale multimodel investigation,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 58, no. 4-5, pp. 579–624, 2009.
- M. Chaplain and G. Lolas, “Mathematical modelling of cancer cell invasion of tissue: the role of the urokinase plasminogen activation system,” Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1685–1734, 2005.
- A. Gerisch and M. Chaplain, “Mathematical modelling of cancer cell invasion of tissue: local and non-local models and the effect of adhesion,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 250, no. 4, pp. 684–704, 2008.
- M. Kolev and B. Zubik-Kowal, “Numerical solutions for a model of tissue invasion and migration of tumour cells,” Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 452320, 2011.
- B. B. Tysnes and R. Mahesparan, “Biological mechanisms of glioma invasion and potential therapeutic targets,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 129–147, 2001.
- S. Zecchini and U. Cavallaro, “Neural Cell adhesion molecule in cancer: expression and mechanisms,” Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 663, pp. 319–333, 2010.
- S. Becker, A. Mang, A. Toma, and T. M. Buzug, “In-silico oncology: an approximate model of brain tumor mass effect based on directly manipulated free form deformation,” International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 607–622, 2010.
- A. Mang, A. Toma, T. A. Schuetz, S. Becker, and T. M. Buzug, “A generic framework for modeling brain deformation as a constrained parametric optimization problem to aid non-diffeomorphicimage registration in brain tumor imaging,” Methods of Information in Medicine. In press.
- R. Spector and J. Eells, “Deoxynucleoside and vitamin transport into the central nervous system,” Federation Proceedings, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 196–200, 1984.
- Z. Szymańska, C. Rodrigo, M. Lachowicz, and M. Chaplain, “Mathematical modelling of cancer invasion of tissue: the role and effect of nonlocal interactions,” Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 257–281, 2009.
- J. Zamecnik, “The extracellular space and matrix of gliomas,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 110, no. 5, pp. 435–442, 2005.
- G. A. Garden and T. Möller, “Microglia biology in health and disease,” Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 127–137, 2006.
- D. Mallet and L. G. D. Pillis, “A cellular automata model of tumor-immune system interactions,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 239, no. 3, pp. 334–350, 2006.
- L. Zhang, Z. Wang, J. A. Sagotsky, and T. S. Deisboeck, “Multiscale agent-based cancer modeling,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 58, no. 4-5, pp. 545–559, 2009.
- D. Breschp, T. Colin, E. Grenier, B. Ribba, and O. Saut, “Computational modeling of solid tumor growth: the avascular stage,” SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 2321–2344, 2010.
- T. Efferth, Molekulare Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
- A. Giese, R. Bjerkvig, M. Berens, and M. Westphal, “Cost of migration: invasion of malignant gliomas and implications for treatment,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1624–1636, 2003.
- S. Y. Cho and R. L. Klemke, “Extracellular-regulated kinase activation and CAS/Crk coupling regulate cell migration and suppress apoptosis during invasion of the extracellular matrix,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 223–236, 2000.
- D. Drasdo, “Coarse graining in simulated cell populations,” Advances in Complex Systems, vol. 8, no. 2-3, pp. 319–363, 2005.
- A. R. Kansal, S. Torquato, G. R. Harsh IV, E. A. Chiocca, and T. S. Deisboeck, “Simulated brain tumor growth dynamics using a three-dimensional cellular automaton,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 203, no. 4, pp. 367–382, 2000.
- G. Schaller and M. Meyer-Hermann, “Multicellular tumor spheroid in an off-lattice Voronoi-Delaunay cell model,” Physical Review E, vol. 71, no. 5, Article ID 051910, 16 pages, 2005.
- C. Carla, F. Daris, B. Cecilia, B. Francesca, C. Francesca, and F. Paolo, “Angiogenesis inhead and neck cancer: a review of the literature,” Journal of Oncology, vol. 2012, Article ID 358472, 9 pages, 2012.
- A. Giese, M. A. Loo, N. Tran, D. Haskett, S. W. Coons, and M. Berens, “Dichotomy of astrocytoma migration and proliferation,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 67, pp. 275–282, 1996.
- H. Byrne and D. Drasdo, “Individual-based and continuum models of growing cell populations: a comparison,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 58, no. 4-5, pp. 657–687, 2009.
- L. G. D. Pillis, D. G. Mallet, and A. E. Radunskaya, “Spatial tumor-immune modeling,” Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 7, no. 2-3, pp. 159–176, 2006.
- J. L. Gevertz, “Computational modeling of tumor response to vascular-targeting therapies part I: Validation,” Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 830515, 2011.
- O. Isaeva and V. Osipov, “Different strategies for cancer treatment: mathematical modelling,” Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 253–272, 2009.
- E. A. Maher, F. B. Furnari, R. M. Bachoo et al., “Malignant glioma: genetics and biology of a grave matter,” Genes & Development, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1311–1333, 2001.