- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 932823, 11 pages
Paeonol Protects Memory after Ischemic Stroke via Inhibiting β-Secretase and Apoptosis
1Department of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung 40447, Taiwan
2School of Post-Baccalaureate Chinese Medicine, College of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
3Graduate Institute of Acupuncture Science, College of Chinese Medicine, China Medical University, 91 Hsueh-Shih Road, Taichung 40402, Taiwan
4Institute of Traditional Medicine, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei 11221, Taiwan
Received 30 September 2011; Revised 23 November 2011; Accepted 24 November 2011
Academic Editor: Monica Rosa Loizzo
Copyright © 2012 Shan-Yu Su et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Solfrizzi, F. Panza, A. M. Colacicco et al., “Vascular risk factors, incidence of MCI, and rates of progression to dementia,” Neurology, vol. 63, no. 10, pp. 1882–1891, 2004.
- R. N. Kalaria, G. E. Maestre, R. Arizaga et al., “Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia in developing countries: prevalence, management, and risk factors,” The Lancet Neurology, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 812–826, 2008.
- M. Leśniak, T. Bak, W. Czepiel, J. Seniów, and A. Członkowska, “Frequency and prognostic value of cognitive disorders in stroke patients,” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 356–363, 2008.
- R. Pluta, “From brain ischemia-reperfusion injury to possible sporadic Alzheimer's disease,” Current Neurovascular Research, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 441–453, 2004.
- R. Pluta, M. Ułamek, and M. Jabłoński, “Alzheimer's mechanisms in ischemic brain degeneration,” Anatomical Record, vol. 292, no. 12, pp. 1863–1881, 2009.
- M. Sastre, I. Dewachter, G. E. Landreth et al., “Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ agonists modulate immunostimulated processing of amyloid precursor protein through regulation of β-secretase,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 30, pp. 9796–9804, 2003.
- Y. Wen, O. Onyewuchi, S. Yang, R. Liu, and J. W. Simpkins, “Increased β-secretase activity and expression in rats following transient cerebral ischemia,” Brain Research, vol. 1009, no. 1-2, pp. 1–8, 2004.
- T. Van Groen, K. Puurunen, H. M. Mäki, J. Sivenius, and J. Jolkkonen, “Transformation of diffuse β-amyloid precursor protein and β-amyloid deposits to plaques in the thalamus after transient occlusion of the middle cerebral artery in rats,” Stroke, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 1551–1556, 2005.
- J. T. Rogers, L. M. Leiter, J. McPhee et al., “Translation of the Alzheimer amyloid precursor protein mRNA is up- regulated by interleukin-1 through 5'-untranslated region sequences,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 10, pp. 6421–6431, 1999.
- B. R. S. Broughton, D. C. Reutens, and C. G. Sobey, “Apoptotic mechanisms after cerebral ischemia,” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. e331–e339, 2009.
- R. C. Taylor, S. P. Cullen, and S. J. Martin, “Apoptosis: controlled demolition at the cellular level,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 231–241, 2008.
- X. F. Sun, “Utilization of traditional chinese medicines (tcm) for strengthening body resistance during 2007–2009 period,” Evaluation and Analysis of Drug-Use in Hospitals of China, vol. 3, pp. 244–246, 2011.
- S. Z. Zhong, Q. H. Ge, R. Qu, Q. Li, and S. P. Ma, “Paeonol attenuates neurotoxicity and ameliorates cognitive impairment induced by d-galactose in ICR mice,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 277, no. 1-2, pp. 58–64, 2009.
- C. L. Hsieh, C. Y. Cheng, T. H. Tsai et al., “Paeonol reduced cerebral infarction involving the superoxide anion and microglia activation in ischemia-reperfusion injured rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 208–215, 2006.
- S.-Y. Su, C.-Y. Cheng, T.-H. Tsai, C.-Y. Hsiang, T.-Y. Ho, and C.-L. Hsieh, “Paeonol attenuates H2O2-induced NF-κB- associated amyloid precursor protein expression,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 1171–1192, 2010.
- C. Y. Cheng, S. Y. Su, N. Y. Tang, T. Y. Ho, S. Y. Chiang, and C. L. Hsieh, “Ferulic acid provides neuroprotection against oxidative stress-related apoptosis after cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury by inhibiting ICAM-1 mRNA expression in rats,” Brain Research, vol. 1209, pp. 136–150, 2008.
- J. Chen, P. R. Sanberg, Y. Li et al., “Intravenous administration of human umbilical cord blood reduces behavioral deficits after stroke in rats,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 2682–2688, 2001.
- C. Y. Hsiang, S. L. Wu, and T. Y. Ho, “Morin inhibits 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate-induced hepatocellular transformation via activator protein 1 signaling pathway and cell cycle progression,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 69, no. 11, pp. 1603–1611, 2005.
- J. M. Xiao, W. C. Si, J. W. Wen et al., “Anxiolytic-like effect of paeonol in mice,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 683–687, 2005.
- C. Y. Cheng, T. Y. Ho, E. J. Lee, S. Y. Su, N. Y. Tang, and C. L. Hsieh, “Ferulic acid reduces cerebral infarct through its antioxidative and anti-Inflammatory effects following transient focal cerebral ischemia in rats,” American Journal of Chinese Medicine, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 1105–1119, 2008.
- Q. Wang, X. N. Tang, and M. A. Yenari, “The inflammatory response in stroke,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 184, no. 1-2, pp. 53–68, 2007.
- J. Zhou, L. Zhou, D. Hou, J. Tang, J. Sun, and S. C. Bondy, “Paeonol increases levels of cortical cytochrome oxidase and vascular actin and improves behavior in a rat model of Alzheimer's disease,” Brain Research, vol. 1388, pp. 141–147, 2011.
- T. Nihashi, S. Inao, Y. Kajita et al., “Expression and distribution of beta amyloid precursor protein and beta amyloid peptide in reactive astrocytes after transient middle cerebral artery occlusion,” Acta Neurochirurgica, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 287–295, 2001.
- R. Pluta, “Astroglial expression of the β-amyloid in ischemia-reperfusion brain injury,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 977, pp. 102–108, 2002.
- A. Shiino, M. Matsuda, J. Handa, and B. Chance, “Poor recovery of mitochondrial redox state in CA1 after transient forebrain ischemia in gerbils,” Stroke, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 2421–2425, 1998.
- D. Kogel, T. Deller, and C. Behl, “Roles of amyloid precursor protein family members in neuroprotection, stress signaling and aging,” Experimental Brain Research. In press.
- D. Kögel, R. Schomburg, T. Schürmann et al., “The amyloid precursor protein protects PC12 cells against endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced apoptosis,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 248–256, 2003.
- M. Citron, “Secretases as targets for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease,” Molecular Medicine Today, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 392–397, 2000.
- U. Bodendorf, S. Danner, F. Fischer et al., “Expression of human β-secretase in the mouse brain increases the steady-state level of β-amyloid,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 799–806, 2002.
- R. Vassar, “The β-secretase, BACE: a prime drug target for Alzheimer's disease,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 157–170, 2001.
- D. Fleck, A. N. Garratt, C. Haass, and M. Willem, “Bace1 dependent neuregulin proteolysis,” Current Alzheimer Research. In press.
- E. Tamagno, M. Guglielmotto, D. Monteleone, and M. Tabaton, “Amyloid-β production: major link between oxidative stress and BACE1,” Neurotoxicity Research. In press.
- P. Giusti-Rodríguez, J. Gao, J. Gräff, D. Rei, T. Soda, and L.-H. Tsai, “Synaptic deficits are rescued in the p25/Cdk5 model of neurodegeneration by the reduction of β-Secretase (BACE1),” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 31, no. 44, pp. 15751–15756, 2011.
- M. Hiltunen, P. Mäkinen, S. Peräniemi et al., “Focal cerebral ischemia in rats alters APP processing and expression of Aβ peptide degrading enzymes in the thalamus,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 103–113, 2009.
- T. Sugawara, M. Kawase, A. Lewén et al., “Effect of hypotension severity on hippocampal CA1 neurons in a rat global ischemia model,” Brain Research, vol. 877, no. 2, pp. 281–287, 2000.
- D. Yin, C. Zhou, I. Kusaka et al., “Inhibition of apoptosis by hyperbaric oxygen in a rat focal cerebral ischemic model,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 855–864, 2003.
- X. Wang, G. Zhu, S. Yang et al., “Paeonol prevents excitotoxicity in rat pheochromocytoma PC12 cells via downregulation of ERK activation and inhibition of apoptosis,” Planta Medica, vol. 77, no. 15, pp. 1695–1701, 2011.
- T. Sugawara, M. Fujimura, N. Noshita et al., “Neuronal death/survival signaling pathways in cerebral ischemia,” NeuroRx, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 17–25, 2004.
- R. A. Kirkland, J. A. Windelborn, J. M. Kasprzak, and J. L. Franklin, “A bax-induced pro-oxidant state is critical for cytochrome c release during programmed neuronal death,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 15, pp. 6480–6490, 2002.
- S. Namura, J. Zhu, K. Fink et al., “Activation and cleavage of caspase-3 in apoptosis induced by experimental cerebral ischemia,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 3659–3668, 1998.
- B. B. Cho and L. H. Toledo-Pereyra, “Caspase-independent programmed cell death following ischemic stroke,” Journal of Investigative Surgery, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 141–147, 2008.
- S. Love, “Apoptosis and brain ischaemia,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 267–282, 2003.
- C. Zhu, X. Wang, Z. Huang et al., “Apoptosis-inducing factor is a major contributor to neuronal loss induced by neonatal cerebral hypoxia-ischemia,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 775–784, 2007.
- Y.-C. Chung, F.-Y. Tang, J.-W. Liao et al., “Isatis indigotica induces hepatocellular cancer cell death via caspase-independent apoptosis-inducing factor translocation apoptotic pathway in vitro and in vivo,” Integrative Cancer Therapies, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 201–214, 2011.
- J. Yuen-Nei Cheung, R. Chik-Ying Ong, Y. K. Suen et al., “Polyphyllin D is a potent apoptosis inducer in drug-resistant HepG2 cells,” Cancer Letters, vol. 217, no. 2, pp. 203–211, 2005.
- X. Q. Zhou, X. N. Zeng, H. Kong, and X. L. Sun, “Neuroprotective effects of berberine on stroke models in vitro and in vivo,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 447, no. 1, pp. 31–36, 2008.
- B. Zhao, “Natural antioxidants protect neurons in Alzheimer's disease and parkinson's disease,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 630–638, 2009.