Research Article | Open Access
K. W. Cheah, T. S. Lee, S. H. Winoto, Z. M. Zhao, "Numerical Flow Simulation in a Centrifugal Pump at Design and Off-Design Conditions", International Journal of Rotating Machinery, vol. 2007, Article ID 083641, 8 pages, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1155/2007/83641
Numerical Flow Simulation in a Centrifugal Pump at Design and Off-Design Conditions
The current investigation is aimed to simulate the complex internal flow in a centrifugal pump impeller with six twisted blades by using a three-dimensional Navier-Stokes code with a standard - two-equation turbulence model. Different flow rates were specified at inlet boundary to predict the characteristics of the pump. A detailed analysis of the results at design load, , and off-design conditions, Q = 0.43 and Q = 1.45 , is presented. From the numerical simulation, it shows that the impeller passage flow at design point is quite smooth and follows the curvature of the blade. However, flow separation is observed at the leading edge due to nontangential inflow condition. The flow pattern changed significantly inside the volute as well, with double vortical flow structures formed at cutwater and slowly evolved into a single vortical structure at the volute diffuser. For the pressure distribution, the pressure increases gradually along streamwise direction in the impeller passages. When the centrifugal pump is operating under off-design flow rate condition, unsteady flow developed in the impeller passage and the volute casing.
- C. H. Liu, C. Vafidis, and J. H. Whitelaw, “Flow characteristics of a centrifugal pump,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 116, no. 2, pp. 303–309, 1994.
- A. Akhras, M. El Hajem, R. Morel, and J.-Y. Champagne, “Internal flow investigation of a centrifugal pump at the design point,” Journal of Visualization, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 91–98, 2001.
- N. Pedersen, P. S. Larsen, and C. B. Jacobsen, “Flow in a centrifugal pump impeller at design and off-design conditions—part I: particle image velocimetry (PIV) and laser Doppler velocimetry (LDV) measurements,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 61–72, 2003.
- C. M. Heilmann and H. E. Siekmann, “Particle image velocimetry as CFD validation tool for flow field investigation in centrifugal pumps,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Transport Phenomena and Dynamics of Rotating Machinery (ISROMAC '02), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, February 2002.
- K. Majidi and H. E. Siekmann, “Numerical calculation of secondary flow in pump volute and circular casings using 3D viscous flow techniques,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 245–252, 2000.
- K. U. Ziegler, H. E. Gallus, and R. Niehuis, “A study on impeller-diffuser interaction—part I: influence on the performance,” Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 173–182, 2003.
- F. Shi and H. Tsukamoto, “Numerical study of pressure fluctuations caused by impeller-diffuser interaction in a diffuser pump stage,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 466–474, 2001.
- Y. K. P. Shum, C. S. Tan, and N. A. Cumpsty, “Impeller-diffuser interaction in a centrifugal compressor,” Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 777–786, 2000.
- A. Akhras, M. El Hajem, J.-Y. Champagne, and R. Morel, “The flow rate influence on the interaction of a radial pump impeller and the diffuser,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 309–317, 2004.
- S.-S. Hong and S.-H. Kang, “Flow at the centrifugal pump impeller exit with circumferential distortion of the outlet static pressure,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 81–86, 2004.
- D. Hagelstein, K. Hillewaert, R. A. Van den Braembussche, A. Engeda, R. Keiper, and M. Rautenberg, “Experimental and numerical investigation of the flow in a centrifugal compressor volute,” Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 122, no. 1, pp. 22–31, 2000.
- A. J. Stepanoff, Centrifugal and Axial Flow Pumps: Theory, Design and Application, Krieger, Melbourne, Fla, USA, 2nd edition, 1992.
- M.-J. Zhang, M. J. Pomfret, and C. M. Wong, “Three-dimensional viscous flow simulation in a backswept centrifugal impeller at the design point,” Computers and Fluids, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 497–507, 1996.
- M.-J. Zhang, M. J. Pomfret, and C. M. Wong, “Performance prediction of a backswept centrifugal impeller at off-design point conditions,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 883–895, 1996.
- R. K. Byskov, C. B. Jacobsen, and N. Pedersen, “Flow in a centrifugal pump impeller at design and off-design conditions—part II: large eddy simulations,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 125, no. 1, pp. 73–83, 2003.
- F. Gu, A. Engeda, M. Cave, and J.-L. Di Liberti, “A numerical investigation on the volute/diffuser interaction due to the axial distortion at the impeller exit,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 123, no. 3, pp. 475–483, 2001.
- M. Asuaje, F. Bakir, S. Kouidri, and R. Rey, “Inverse design method for centrifugal impellers and comparison with numerical simulation tools,” International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 101–110, 2004.
- A. Goto, M. Nohmi, T. Sakurai, and Y. Sogawa, “Hydrodynamic design system for pumps based on 3-D CAD, CFD, and inverse design method,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 329–335, 2002.
- Z. M. Zhao, “Design of centrifugal pump using computational fluid dynamics,” M.Eng thesis, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2002.
- M. Zangeneh, M. Schleer, and F. Pløger et al., “Investigation of an inversely designed centrifugal compressor stage—part I: design and numerical verification,” Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 126, no. 1, pp. 73–81, 2004.
- J. González, J. Fernández, E. Blanco, and C. Santolaria, “Numerical simulation of the dynamic effects due to impeller-volute interaction in a centrifugal pump,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 348–355, 2002.
- T. Meakhail and S. O. Park, “A study of impeller-diffuser-volute interaction in centrifugal fan,” Journal of Turbomachinery, vol. 127, no. 1, pp. 84–90, 2005.
- O. Coutier-Delgosha, R. Fortes-Patella, J. L. Reboud, M. Hofmann, and B. Stoffel, “Experimental and numerical studies in a centrifugal pump with two-dimensional curved blades in cavitating condition,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 970–978, 2003.
- E. C. Nursen and E. Ayder, “Numerical calculation of the three-dimensional swirling flow inside the centrifugal pump volutes,” International Journal of Rotating Machinery, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 247–253, 2003.
- S. Khelladi, S. Kouidri, F. Bakir, and R. Rey, “Flow study in the impeller-diffuser interface of a vaned centrifugal fan,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 495–502, 2005.
Copyright © 2007 K. W. Cheah et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.