- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
International Journal of Vascular Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 906954, 6 pages
Evaluation of Serum Biomarkers for Patients at Increased Risk of Stroke
1Clinic of Vascular Surgery, Klinikum Rechts der Isar der Technischen Universitaet Muenchen, Ismaninger Straße 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
2Department of Neurology, Klinikum Rechts der Isar der Technischen Universitaet Muenchen, Germany
Received 30 September 2011; Revised 6 January 2012; Accepted 6 January 2012
Academic Editor: Karl A. Illig
Copyright © 2012 Pelisek Jaroslav et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. M. Rothwell, S. A. Gutnikov, and C. P. Warlow, “Reanalysis of the final results of the European carotid surgery trial,” Stroke, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 514–523, 2003.
- J. Pelisek, M. Rudelius, P. Zepper et al., “Multiple biological predictors for vulnerable carotid lesions,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 601–610, 2009.
- R. Virmani, A. P. Burke, A. Farb, and F. D. Kolodgie, “Pathology of the Vulnerable Plaque,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 47, no. 8, pp. C13–C18, 2006.
- C. M. Wahlgren, W. Zheng, W. Shaalan, J. Tang, and H. S. Bassiouny, “Human carotid plaque calcification and vulnerability: relationship between degree of plaque calcification, fibrous cap inflammatory gene expression and symptomatology,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 193–200, 2009.
- J. A. Chalela, “Evaluating the carotid plaque: going beyond stenosis,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 19–24, 2009.
- P. R. Moreno, K. R. Purushothaman, M. Sirol, A. P. Levy, and V. Fuster, “Neovascularization in human atherosclerosis,” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 18, pp. 2245–2252, 2006.
- A. C. Newby, “Dual role of matrix metalloproteinases (matrixins) in intimal thickening and atherosclerotic plaque rupture,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 1–31, 2005.
- W. Koenig, “Cardiovascular biomarkers: added value with an integrated approach?” Circulation, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 3–5, 2007.
- N. Ferri, R. Paoletti, and A. Corsini, “Biomarkers for atherosclerosis: pathophysiological role and pharmacological modulation,” Current Opinion in Lipidology, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 495–501, 2006.
- L. Lind, “Circulating markers of inflammation and atherosclerosis,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 203–214, 2003.
- J. T. Wu and L. L. Wu, “Linking inflammation and atherogenesis: soluble markers identified for the detection of risk factors and for early risk assessment,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 366, no. 1-2, pp. 74–80, 2006.
- M. M. Turu, J. Krupinski, E. Catena et al., “Intraplaque MMP-8 levels are increased in asymptomatic patients with carotid plaque progression on ultrasound,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 187, no. 1, pp. 161–169, 2006.
- B. Alvarez, C. Ruiz, P. Chacćn, J. Alvarez-Sabin, and M. Matas, “Serum values of metalloproteinase-2 and metalloproteinase-9 as related to unstable plaque and inflammatory cells in patients with greater than 70% carotid artery stenosis,” Journal of Vascular Surgery, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 469–475, 2004.
- P. Sapienza, L. di Marzo, V. Borrelli et al., “Basic fibroblast growth factor mediates carotid plaque instability through metalloproteinase-2 and -9 expression,” European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 89–97, 2004.
- K. J. Molloy, M. M. Thompson, E. C. Schwalbe, P. R. Bell, A. R. Naylor, and I. M. Loftus, “Elevation in plasma MMP-9 following carotid endarterectomy is associated with particulate cerebral embolisation,” European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 409–413, 2004.
- C. D. Bicknell, D. Peck, N. M. Lau et al., “The relationship between plasma MMP-1, -7, -8 and -13 levels and embolic potential during carotid endoluminal intervention,” European Journal of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 500–507, 2004.
- P. Heider, J. Pelisek, H. Poppert, and H. H. Eckstein, “Evaluation of serum matrix metalloproteinases as biomarkers for detection of neurological symptoms in carotid artery disease,” Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 551–560, 2009.
- J. N. Redgrave, P. Gallagher, J. K. Lovett, and P. M. Rothwell, “Critical cap thickness and rupture in symptomatic carotid plaques: the oxford plaque study,” Stroke, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1722–1729, 2008.
- J. N. E. Redgrave, J. K. Lovett, P. J. Gallagher, and P. M. Rothwell, “Histological assessment of 526 symptomatic carotid plaques in relation to the nature and timing of ischemic symptoms: the Oxford plaque study,” Circulation, vol. 113, no. 19, pp. 2320–2328, 2006.
- T. J. Wang, P. Gona, M. G. Larson et al., “Multiple biomarkers for the prediction of first major cardiovascular events and death,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 355, no. 25, pp. 2631–2639, 2006.
- A. H. Thakore, C. Y. Guo, M. G. Larson et al., “Association of multiple inflammatory markers with carotid intimal medial thickness and stenosis (from the Framingham Heart Study),” American Journal of Cardiology, vol. 99, no. 11, pp. 1598–1602, 2007.
- C. Warlow, B. Farrell, A. Fraser, P. Sandercock, and J. Slattery, “Randomised trial of endarterectomy for recently symptomatic carotid stenosis: final results of the MRC European carotid surgery trial (ECST),” The Lancet, vol. 351, no. 9113, pp. 1379–1387, 1998.
- E. R. DeLong, D. M. DeLong, and D. L. Clarke-Pearson, “Comparing the areas under two or more correlated receiver operating characteristic curves: a nonparametric approach,” Biometrics, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 837–845, 1988.
- V. Lemaitre and J. D'Armiento, “Matrix metalloproteinases in development and disease,” Birth Defects Research C, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2006.
- P. Libby, G. Sukhova, R. T. Lee, and Z. S. Galis, “Cytokines regulate vascular functions related to stability of the atherosclerotic plaque,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 25, no. 2, supplement 2, pp. S9–S12, 1995.
- S. Chaturvedi, A. Bruno, T. Feasby et al., “Carotid endarterectomy—an evidence-based review: report of the therapeutics and technology assessment subcommittee of the American academy of neurology,” Neurology, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 794–801, 2005.
- T. Ito and U. Ikeda, “Inflammatory cytokines and cardiovascular disease,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 257–265, 2003.