- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Experimental Diabetes Research
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 732027, 8 pages
Impact of Diabetes and Hyperglycemia on Survival in Advanced Breast Cancer Patients
1Clínica de Cáncer de Mama, Instituto Nacional de Cancerología (INCan), 14080 México, DF, Mexico
2Departamento de Oncología Médica, INCan, 14080 México, DF, Mexico
3Unidad de Investigación Biomédica en Cáncer, INCan and Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, 04510 México, DF, Mexico
Received 1 February 2012; Revised 31 May 2012; Accepted 18 June 2012
Academic Editor: Chien-Jen Chen
Copyright © 2012 Cynthia Villarreal-Garza et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [27 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Jeff M. P. Holly, Li Zeng, and Claire M. Perks, “Epithelial cancers in the post-genomic era: should we reconsider our lifestyle?,” Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, 2013.
- Carlos Daniel Guerra-Castañón, Maricarmen Ávalos-de la Tejera, Brian González-Pérez, Ricardo Salas-Flores, and María Lucero Sosa-López, “Frecuencia de factores de riesgo para cáncer de mama en una unidad de atención primaria,” Atención Familiar, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 73–76, 2013.
- Hanru Wang, Susan E. P. Bastian, and Gordon S. Howarth, “Newly Developed Synbiotics and the Chemotherapy-Damaged Gut,” Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 198–208, 2013.
- S. K. Garg, H. Maurer, K. Reed, and R. Selagamsetty, “Diabetes and cancer: two diseases with obesity as a common risk factor,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, 2013.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Diabetes and thyroid cancer mortality: a 12-year prospective follow-up of Taiwanese,” European Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 595–601, 2013.
- Trista J. Stankowski-Drengler, Rachel V. Stankowski, Jessica M. Engel, and Adedayo A. Onitilo, “The Relationship of Type 2 Diabetes, Oral Diabetes Medications, and Insulin Therapy to Risk for Breast Cancer,” Current Nutrition Reports, 2013.
- Rebecca Lopez, Arunkumar Arumugam, Riya Joseph, Kanika Monga, Thiyagarajan Boopalan, Pamela Agullo, Christina Gutierrez, Sushmita Nandy, Ramadevi Subramani, Jose Manuel de la Rosa, and Rajkumar Lakshmanaswamy, “Hyperglycemia Enhances the Proliferation of Non-Tumorigenic and Malignant Mammary Epithelial Cells through Increased leptin/IGF1R Signaling and Activation of AKT/mTOR,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 11, 2013.
- Chanchal Gupta, and Kulbhushan Tikoo, “High glucose and insulin differentially modulates proliferation in MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 cells,” Journal of Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 119–129, 2013.
- Hala Ahmadieh, and Sami T. Azar, “Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Oral Diabetic Medications, Insulin Therapy, and Overall Breast Cancer Risk,” ISRN Endocrinology, vol. 2013, pp. 1–8, 2013.
- Susan Storey, and Diane Von Ah, “Prevalence and impact of hyperglycemia on hospitalized leukemia patients,” European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 2014.
- Nina J Karlin, Amylou C Dueck, Sravan K Nagi Reddy, Patricia M Verona, and Curtiss B Cook, “Implications of breast cancer with diabetes mellitus on patient outcomes and care,” Diabetes Management, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 411–419, 2014.
- K. Bhaskaran, S.S.B. Hussain, and A. Van Helvoort, “Oncology adapted nutritional support: A role for low glycemic medical nutrition,” PharmaNutrition, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 112, 2014.
- Chanchal Gupta, Jasmine Kaur, and Kulbhushan Tikoo, “Regulation of MDA-MB231 cell proliferation by GSK-3β involves epigenetic modifications under high glucose conditions,” Experimental Cell Research, 2014.
- Ka-Eun Yoo, Rae Young Kang, Ju-Yeun Lee, Yu Jeung Lee, Sung Yun Suh, Kwi Suk Kim, Hyang Sook Kim, Se-Hoon Lee, and Byung Koo Lee, “Awareness of the adverse effects associated with prophylactic corticosteroid use during docetaxel therapy,” Supportive Care in Cancer, 2014.
- Carlos Daniel Guerra-Castañón, and Maricarmen Ávalos-de la Tejera, “Los médicos familiares son fundamentales para el diagnóstico temprano del cáncer de mama,” Atención Familiar, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 1, 2014.
- Y. Wang, Y. D. Zhu, Q. Gui, X. D. Wang, and Y. X. Zhu, “Glucagon-induced angiogenesis and tumor growth through the HIF-1-VEGF-dependent pathway in hyperglycemic nude mice,” Genetics and Molecular Research, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 7173–7183, 2014.
- Roy E. Strowd, and Stuart A. Grossman, “The Role of Glucose Modulation and Dietary Supplementation in Patients With Central Nervous System Tumors,” Current Treatment Options In Oncology, vol. 16, no. 8, 2015.
- Yasuhiro Niwa, Kota Ishikawa, Masatoshi Ishigami, Takashi Honda, Koichi Achiwa, Takako Izumoto, Ryuya Maekawa, Kaori Hosokawa, Atsushi Iida, Yusuke Seino, Yoji Hamada, Hidemi Goto, Yutaka Oiso, Hiroshi Arima, and Shin Tsunekawa, “Effect of hyperglycemia on hepatocellular carcinoma development in diabetes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 2015.
- Minh Thi Tieu, Leif E. Lovblom, Mairéad G. McNamara, Warren Mason, Normand Laperriere, Barbara-Ann Millar, Cynthia Ménard, Tim-Rasmus Kiehl, Bruce A. Perkins, and Caroline Chung, “Impact of glycemia on survival of glioblastoma patients treated with radiation and temozolomide,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, 2015.
- Lynnette R. Ferguson, Helen Chen, Andrew R. Collins, Marisa Connell, Giovanna Damia, Santanu Dasgupta, Meenakshi Malhotra, Alan K. Meeker, Amedeo Amedei, Amr Amin, S. Salman Ashraf, Katia Aquilano, Asfar S. Azmi, Dipita Bhakta, Alan Bilsland, Chandra S. Boosani, Sophie Chen, Maria Rosa Ciriolo, Hiromasa Fujii, Gunjan Guha, Dorota Halicka, William G. Helferich, W. Nicol Keith, Sulma I. Mohammed, Elena Niccolai, Xujuan Yang, Kanya Honoki, Virginia R. Parslow, Satya Prakash, Sarallah Rezazadeh, Rodney E. Shackelford, David Sidransky, Phuoc T. Tran, Eddy S. Yang, and Christopher A. Maxwell, “Genomic instability in human cancer: Molecular insights and opportunities for therapeutic attack and prevention through diet and nutrition,” Seminars in Cancer Biology, 2015.
- G. Ariaans, S. de Jong, J.A. Gietema, J.D. Lefrandt, E.G.E. de Vries, and M. Jalving, “Cancer-drug induced insulin resistance: innocent bystander or unusual suspect,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, 2015.
- Wen Yu, Dedong Cao, Hao Zhou, Yu Hu, and Tao Guo, “PGC-1α is responsible for survival of multiple myeloma cells under hyperglycemia and chemotherapy,” Oncology Reports, 2015.
- Wahyu Wulaningsih, Mariam Vahdaninia, Mark Rowley, Lars Holmberg, Hans Garmo, Håkan Malmstrom, Mats Lambe, Niklas Hammar, Göran Walldius, Ingmar Jungner, Anthonius C. Coolen, and Mieke Van Hemelrijck, “Prediagnostic serum glucose and lipids in relation to survival in breast cancer patients: a competing risk analysis,” BMC Cancer, vol. 15, no. 1, 2015.
- Chin-Hsiao Tseng, “Use of Insulin and Mortality from Breast Cancer among Taiwanese Women with Diabetes,” Journal of Diabetes Research, vol. 2015, pp. 1–8, 2015.
- Lee Guek Eng, Shaheenah Dawood, Victoria Sopik, Benjamin Haaland, Pui San Tan, Nirmala Bhoo-Pathy, Ellen Warner, Javaid Iqbal, Steven A. Narod, and Rebecca Dent, “Ten-year survival in women with primary stage IV breast cancer,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 2016.
- Luis Antonio Flores-López, María Guadalupe Martínez-Hernández, Rubí Viedma-Rodríguez, Margarita Díaz-Flores, and Luis Arturo Baiza-Gutman, “High glucose and insulin enhance uPA expression, ROS formation and invasiveness in breast cancer-derived cells,” Cellular Oncology, 2016.
- R J Klement, and M K Fink, “Dietary and pharmacological modification of the insulin/IGF-1 system: exploiting the full repertoire against cancer,” Oncogenesis, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. e193, 2016.