- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Robotics
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 126570, 8 pages
Using the Functional Reach Test for Probing the Static Stability of Bipedal Standing in Humanoid Robots Based on the Passive Motion Paradigm
1RBCS Department, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Via Morego 30, 16163 Genoa, Italy
2DIBRIS Department, University of Genoa, Viale Causa, 13 16145 Genoa, Italy
Received 24 December 2012; Revised 21 March 2013; Accepted 22 March 2013
Academic Editor: G. Muscato
Copyright © 2013 Jacopo Zenzeri et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Metta, L. Natale, F. Nori et al., “The iCub humanoid robot: an open-systems platform for research in cognitive development,” Neural Networks, vol. 23, no. 8-9, pp. 1125–1134, 2010.
- V. Mohan, P. Morasso, G. Metta, and G. Sandini, “A biomimetic, force-field based computational model for motion planning and bimanual coordination in humanoid robots,” Autonomous Robots, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 291–307, 2009.
- V. Mohan, P. Morasso, J. Zenzeri, G. Metta, V. S. Chakravarthy, and G. Sandini, “Teaching a humanoid robot to draw ‘Shapes’,” Auton Robots, vol. 31, pp. 21–53, 2011.
- I. D. Loram and M. Lakie, “Direct measurement of human ankle stiffness during quiet standing: the intrinsic mechanical stiffness is insufficient for stability,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 545, no. 3, pp. 1041–1053, 2002.
- M. Casadio, P. G. Morasso, and V. Sanguineti, “Direct measurement of ankle stiffness during quiet standing: implications for control modelling and clinical application,” Gait and Posture, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 410–424, 2005.
- M. G. Carpenter, J. H. J. Allum, F. Honegger, A. L. Adkin, and B. R. Bloem, “Postural abnormalities to multidirectional stance perturbations in Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 75, no. 9, pp. 1245–1254, 2004.
- I. D. Loram, C. N. Maganaris, and M. Lakie, “Human postural sway results from frequent, ballistic bias impulses by soleus and gastrocnemius,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 564, no. 1, pp. 295–311, 2005.
- A. Bottaro, Y. Yasutake, T. Nomura, M. Casadio, and P. Morasso, “Bounded stability of the quiet standing posture: an intermittent control model,” Human Movement Science, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 473–495, 2008.
- Y. Asai, Y. Tasaka, K. Nomura, T. Nomura, M. Casadio, and P. Morasso, “A model of postural control in quiet standing: robust compensation of delay-induced instability using intermittent activation of feedback control,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 7, Article ID e6169, 2009.
- F. A. M. Ivaldi, P. Morasso, and R. Zaccaria, “Kinematic networks—a distributed model for representing and regularizing motor redundancy,” Biological Cybernetics, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 1–16, 1988.
- M. Zak, “Terminal attractors for addressable memory in neural networks,” Physics Letters A, vol. 133, no. 1-2, pp. 18–22, 1988.
- P. Morasso, M. Casadio, V. Mohan, and J. Zenzeri, “A neural mechanism of synergy formation for whole body reaching,” Biological Cybernetics, vol. 102, no. 1, pp. 45–55, 2010.
- P. W. Duncan, D. K. Weiner, J. Chandler, and S. Studenski, “Functional reach: a new clinical measure of balance,” Journals of Gerontology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. M192–M197, 1990.
- V. Tikhanoff, A. Cangelosi, P. Fitzpatrick, G. Metta, L. Natale, and F. Nori, “An open-source simulator for cognitive robotics research,” Cogprints 6238, 2008.
- G. Metta, P. Fitzpatrick, and L. Natale, “YARP: yet another robot platform,” International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 43–48, 2006.
- T. R. Kaminski, “The coupling between upper and lower extremity synergies during whole body reaching,” Gait and Posture, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 256–262, 2007.
- T. Pozzo, P. J. Stapley, and C. Papaxanthis, “Coordination between equilibrium and hand trajectories during whole body pointing movements,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 144, no. 3, pp. 343–350, 2002.
- P. J. Stapley, T. Pozzo, G. Cheron, and A. Grishin, “Does the coordination between posture and movement during human whole-body reaching ensure center of mass stabilization?” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 134–146, 1999.
- V. Mohan and P. Morasso, “Passive motion paradigm: an alternative to optimal control,” Frontiers in Neurorobotics, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1–28, 2011.
- A. S. Aruin, “The organization of anticipatory postural adjustments,” Journal of Automatic Control, vol. 12, pp. 31–37, 2002.
- S. Bouisset and M. Zattara, “Biomechanical study of the programming of anticipatory postural adjustments associated with voluntary movement,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 735–742, 1987.
- W. A. Lee, T. S. Buchanan, and M. W. Rogers, “Effects of arm acceleration and behavioral conditions on the organization of postural adjustments during arm flexion,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 257–270, 1987.