- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Tropical Medicine
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 631460, 12 pages
Immunity to Visceral Leishmaniasis Using Genetically Defined Live-Attenuated Parasites
1Institute of Molecular Medicine, 254 Okhla Industrial Estate, Phase III, New Delhi 110020, India
2Division of Emerging and Transfusion Transmitted Diseases, Office of Blood Research and Review, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
3Institute of Pathology (Indian Council of Medical Research), Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi 110029, USA
Received 28 April 2011; Accepted 1 July 2011
Academic Editor: Christian Engwerda
Copyright © 2012 Angamuthu Selvapandiyan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [23 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Suman Rijal, Bart Ostyn, Surendra Uranw, Keshav Rai, Narayan Raj Bhattarai, Thomas P. C. Dorlo, Jos H. Beijnen, Manu Vanaerschot, Saskia Decuypere, Subodh S. Dhakal, Murari Lal Das, Prahlad Karki, Rupa Singh, Marleen Boelaert, and Jean-Claude Dujardin, “Increasing Failure of Miltefosine in the Treatment of Kala-azar in Nepal and the Potential Role of Parasite Drug Resistance, Reinfection, or Noncompliance,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 1530–1538, 2013.
- Hamide Aslan, Jesus G. Valenzuela, Shaden Kamhawi, Ranadhir Dey, Claudio Meneses, Philip Castrovinci, Selma Maria Bezerra Jeronimo, Gætano Oliva, Laurent Fischer, Robert C. Duncan, and Hira L. Nakhasi, “A new model of progressive visceral leishmaniasis in hamsters by natural transmission via bites of vector sand flies,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 207, no. 8, pp. 1328–1338, 2013.
- Jacqueline Araujo Fiuza, Helton da Costa Santiago, Angamuthu Selvapandiyan, Sreenivas Gannavaram, Natasha Delaqua Ricci, Lilian Lacerda Bueno, Daniella Castanheira Bartholomeu, Rodrigo Correa-Oliveira, Hira Lal Nakhasi, and Ricardo Toshio Fujiwara, “Induction of immunogenicity by live attenuated Leishmania donovani centrin deleted parasites in dogs,” Vaccine, vol. 31, no. 14, pp. 1785–1792, 2013.
- Ranadhir Dey, Pradeep K. Dagur, Angamuthu Selvapandiyan, J. Philip McCoy, Poonam Salotra, Robert Duncan, and Hira L. Nakhasi, “Live Attenuated Leishmania donovani p27 Gene Knockout Parasites Are Nonpathogenic and Elicit Long-Term Protective Immunity in BALB/c Mice,” Journal Of Immunology, vol. 190, no. 5, pp. 2138–2149, 2013.
- Laura-Isobel McCall, Wen-Wei Zhang, Shanlindra Ranasinghe, and Greg Matlashewski, “Leishmanization revisited: Immunization with a naturally attenuated cutaneous Leishmania donovani isolate from Sri Lanka protects against visceral leishmaniasis,” Vaccine, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1420–1425, 2013.
- Tahereh Taheri, and Sima Rafati, “Leishmaniasis: recombinant DNA vaccination and different approaches for vaccine development,” Clinical Investigation, vol. 3, no. 11, pp. 1023–1044, 2013.
- Malcolm S. Duthie, and Steven G. Reed, “The Emergence of Defined Subunit Vaccines for the Prevention of Leishmaniasis,” Current Tropical Medicine Reports, 2014.
- Angamuthu Selvapandiyan, Ranadhir Dey, Sreenivas Gannavaram, Sumit Solanki, Poonam Salotra, and Hira L. Nakhasi, “Generation of growth arrested Leishmania amastigotes: A tool to develop live attenuated vaccine candidates against visceral leishmaniasis,” Vaccine, 2014.
- Sreenivas Gannavaram, Ranadhir Dey, Kumar Avishek, Angamuthu Selvapandiyan, Poonam Salotra, and Hira L. Nakhasi, “Biomarkers of Safety and Immune Protection for Genetically Modified Live Attenuated Leishmania Vaccines Against Visceral Leishmaniasis â€“ Discovery and Implications,” Frontiers in Immunology, vol. 5, 2014.
- S. Das, A. Freier, T. Boussoffara, S. Das, D. Oswald, F. O. Losch, M. Selka, N. Sacerdoti-Sierra, G. Schonian, K.-H. Wiesmuller, K. Seifert, M. Schroff, C. Juhls, C. L. Jaffe, S. Roy, P. Das, H. Louzir, S. L. Croft, F. Modabber, and P. Walden, “Modular Multiantigen T Cell Epitope-Enriched DNA Vaccine Against Human Leishmaniasis,” Science Translational Medicine, vol. 6, no. 234, pp. 234ra56–234ra56, 2014.
- Noushin Saljoughian, Tahareh Taheri, and Sima Rafati, “Live Vaccination Tactics: Possible Approaches for Controlling Visceral Leishmaniasis,” Frontiers in Immunology, vol. 5, 2014.
- Fernando J. Sanchez-Valdez, Cecilia Perez Brandan, Galia Ramirez, Alejandro D. Uncos, M. Paola Zago, Ruben O. Cimino, Ruben M. Cardozo, Jorge D. Marco, Arturo Ferreira, and Miguel Angel Basombrio, “A Monoallelic Deletion of the TcCRT Gene Increases the Attenuation of a Cultured Trypanosoma cruzi Strain, Protecting against an In Vivo Virulent Challenge,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 8, no. 2, 2014.
- Sreenivas Gannavaram, Sonya Davey, Ines Lakhal-Naouar, Robert Duncan, and Hira L. Nakhasi, “Deletion of Ubiquitin Fold Modifier Protein Ufm1 Processing Peptidase Ufsp in L. donovani Abolishes Ufm1 Processing and Alters Pathogenesis,” Plos Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 8, no. 2, 2014.
- Jacqueline Araújo Fiuza, Sreenivas Gannavaram, Helton da Costa Santiago, Angamuthu Selvapandiyan, Daniel Menezes Souza, Lívia Silva Araújo Passos, Ludmila Zanandreis de Mendonça, Denise da Silveira Lemos-Giunchetti, Natasha Delaqua Ricci, Daniella Castanheira Bartholomeu, Rodolfo Cordeiro Giunchetti, Lilian Lacerda Bueno, Rodrigo Correa-Oliveira, Hira L. Nakhasi, and Ricardo Toshio Fujiwara, “Vaccination using live attenuated Leishmania donovani centrin deleted parasites induces protection in dogs against Leishmania infantum,” Vaccine, 2014.
- Ranadhir Dey, Gayathri Natarajan, Parna Bhattacharya, Hannah Cummings, Pradeep K. Dagur, Cesar Terrazas, Angamuthu Selvapandiyan, John P. Mccoy, Robert Duncan, Abhay R. Satoskar, and Hira L. Nakhasi, “Characterization of Cross-Protection by Genetically Modified Live-Attenuated Leishmania donovani Parasites against Leishmania mexicana,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 193, no. 7, pp. 3513–3527, 2014.
- Sneha Anand, and Rentala Madhubala, “Genetically Engineered Ascorbic acid-deficient Live Mutants of Leishmania donovani induce long lasting Protective Immunity against Visceral Leishmaniasis,” Scientific Reports, vol. 5, pp. 10706, 2015.
- Angamuthu Selvapandiyan, Kavita Ahuja, Niti Puri, and Anuja Krishnan, “Implications of co-infection of Leptomonas in visceral leishmaniasis in India,” Parasitology, vol. 142, no. 14, pp. 1657–1662, 2015.
- Sg Reed, Rn Coler, D Mondal, S Kamhawi, and Jg Valenzuela, “Leishmania vaccine development: exploiting the host–vector–parasite interface,” Expert Review of Vaccines, pp. 1–10, 2015.
- Kavita Ahuja, Ginni Arora, Prashant Khare, and Angamuthu Selvapandiyan, “Selective elimination of Leptomonas from the in vitro co-culture with Leishmania,” Parasitology International, 2015.
- Parna Bhattacharya, Ranadhir Dey, Pradeep K. Dagur, Amritanshu B. Joshi, Nevien Ismail, Sreenivas Gannavaram, Alain Debrabant, Adovi D. Akue, Mark A. KuKuruga, Angamuthu Selvapandiyan, John Philip McCoy, and Hira L. Nakhasi, “Live Attenuated Leishmania donovani Centrin Knock Out Parasites Generate Non-inferior Protective Immune Response in Aged Mice against Visceral Leishmaniasis,” PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 10, no. 8, pp. e0004963, 2016.
- Antara Banerjee, Parna Bhattacharya, Amritanshu B. Joshi, Nevien Ismail, Ranadhir Dey, and Hira L. Nakhasi, ““Role of pro-inflammatory cytokine IL-17 in Leishmania pathogenesis and in protective immunity by Leishmania vaccines”,” Cellular Immunology, 2016.
- Sreenivas Gannavaram, Parna Bhattacharya, Nevien Ismail, Amit Kaul, Rakesh Singh, and Hira L. Nakhasi, “Modulation of Innate Immune Mechanisms to Enhance Leishmania Vaccine-Induced Immunity: Role of Coinhibitory Molecules,” Frontiers in Immunology, vol. 7, 2016.
- Nádia das Dores Moreira, Juliana Vitoriano-Souza, Bruno Mendes Roatt, Paula Melo de Abreu Vieira, Wendel Coura-Vital, Jamille Mirelle de Oliveira Cardoso, Mariana Trevisan Rezende, Henrique Gama Ker, Rodolfo Cordeiro Giunchetti, Claudia Martins Carneiro, and Alexandre Barbosa Reis, “Clinical, hematological and biochemical alterations in hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) experimentally infected with Leishmania infantum through different routes of inoculation,” Parasites & Vectors, vol. 9, no. 1, 2016.