- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Obstetrics and Gynecology International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 879618, 9 pages
Gene Expression of Leptin and Long Leptin Receptor Isoform in Endometriosis: A Case-Control Study
1Gynecological Endocrinology Unit, Division of Endocrinology, Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre (HCPA), Rua Ramiro Barcelos 2350, 90035-003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
2Human Reproduction Unit, Hospital Fêmina, Grupo Hospitalar Conceição (GHC), Rua Mostardeiro 17, 90430-001 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
3Division of Pathology, HCPA, Rua Ramiro Barcelos 2350, 90035-003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
4Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Department of Physiology, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Rua Ramiro Barcelos 2350, 90035-003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Received 23 December 2012; Revised 12 February 2013; Accepted 14 February 2013
Academic Editor: Fernando M. Reis
Copyright © 2013 Andrea Prestes Nácul et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. Gazvani and A. Templeton, “Peritoneal environment, cytokines and angiogenesis in the pathophysiology of endometriosis,” Reproduction, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 217–226, 2002.
- G. Matarese, C. Alviggi, V. Sanna et al., “Increased leptin levels in serum and peritoneal fluid of patients with pelvic endometriosis,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 85, no. 7, pp. 2483–2487, 2000.
- J. Kitawaki, H. Koshiba, H. Ishihara, I. Kusuki, K. Tsukamoto, and H. Honjo, “Expression of leptin receptor in human endometrium and fluctuation during the menstrual cycle,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 85, no. 5, pp. 1946–1950, 2000.
- M. Mitchell, D. T. Armstrong, R. L. Robker, and R. J. Norman, “Adipokines: implications for female fertility and obesity,” Reproduction, vol. 130, no. 5, pp. 583–597, 2005.
- M. A. Bedaiwy, T. Falcone, J. M. Goldberg, R. K. Sharma, D. R. Nelson, and A. Agarwal, “Peritoneal fluid leptin is associated with chronic pelvic pain but not infertility in endometriosis patients,” Human Reproduction, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 788–791, 2006.
- G. De Placido, C. Alviggi, C. Carravetta et al., “The peritoneal fluid concentration of leptin is increased in women with peritoneal but not ovarian endometriosis,” Human Reproduction, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1251–1254, 2001.
- T. Gungor, M. Kanat-Pektas, R. Karayalcin, and L. Mollamahmutoglu, “Peritoneal fluid and serum leptin concentrations in women with primary infertility,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 279, no. 3, pp. 361–364, 2009.
- N. G. Mahutte, I. M. Matalliotakis, A. G. Goumenou, S. Vassiliadis, G. E. Koumantnakis, and A. Arici, “Inverse correlation between peritoneal fluid leptin concentrations and the extent of endometriosis,” Human Reproduction, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1205–1209, 2003.
- N. Pandey, A. Kriplani, R. K. Yadav, B. T. Lyngdoh, and S. C. Mahapatra, “Peritoneal fluid leptin levels are increased but adiponectin levels are not changed in infertile patients with pelvic endometriosis,” Gynecological Endocrinology, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 843–849, 2010.
- M. H. Wu, M. F. Huang, F. M. Chang, and S. J. Tsai, “Leptin on peritoneal macrophages of patients with endometriosis,” American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 214–221, 2010.
- E. Barcz, Ł. Milewski, D. Radomski et al., “A relationship between increased peritoneal leptin levels and infertility in endometriosis,” Gynecological Endocrinology, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 526–530, 2008.
- P. Viganò, E. Somigliana, R. Matrone et al., “Serum leptin concentrations in endometriosis,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 1085–1087, 2002.
- I. Wertel, M. Gogacz, G. Polak, J. Jakowicki, and J. Kotarski, “Leptin is not involved in the pathophysiology of endometriosis-related infertility,” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 119, no. 2, pp. 206–209, 2005.
- Y. Tao, Q. Zhang, W. Huang, H. Zhu, D. Zhang, and W. Luo, “The peritoneal leptin, MCP-1 and TNF-α in the pathogenesis of endometriosis-associated infertility,” American Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 403–406, 2011.
- Ł. Milewski, E. Barcz, P. Dziunycz et al., “Association of leptin with inflammatory cytokines and lymphocyte subpopulations in peritoneal fluid of patients with endometriosis,” Journal of Reproductive Immunology, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 111–117, 2008.
- I. Lima-Couy, A. Cervero, F. Bonilla-Musoles, A. Pellicer, and C. Simón, “Endometrial leptin and leptin receptor expression in women with severe/moderate endometriosis,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 10, no. 11, pp. 777–782, 2004.
- M. H. Wu, P. C. Chuang, H. M. Chen, C. C. Lin, and S. J. Tsai, “Increased leptin expression in endometriosis cells is associated with endometrial stromal cell proliferation and leptin gene up-regulation,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 456–464, 2002.
- M. H. Wu, K. F. Chen, S. C. Lin, C. W. Lgu, and S. J. Tsai, “Aberrant expression of leptin in human endometriotic stromal cells is induced by elevated levels of hypoxia inducible factor-1α,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 170, no. 2, pp. 590–598, 2007.
- H. K. Oh, Y. S. Choi, Y. I. Yang, J. H. Kim, P. C. Leung, and J. H. Choi, “Leptin receptor is induced in endometriosis and leptin stimulates the growth of endometriotic epithelial cells through the JAK2/STAT3 and ERK pathways,” Molecular Human Reproduction, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 160–168, 2013.
- M. Canis, J. G. Donnez, D. S. Guzick et al., “Revised American Society for Reproductive Medicine classification of endometriosis: 1996,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 817–821, 1997.
- D. M. Morsch, M. M. Carneiro, S. B. Lecke et al., “C-fos gene and protein expression in pelvic endometriosis: a local marker of estrogen action,” Journal of Molecular Histology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 53–58, 2009.
- I. O. Oliveira, C. Lhullier, I. S. Brum, and P. M. Spritzer, “Gene expression of type 2 17β hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in scalp hairs of hirsute women,” Steroids, vol. 68, no. 7-8, pp. 641–649, 2003.
- R. Higuchi, G. Dollinger, P. S. Walsh, and R. Griffith, “Simultaneous amplification and detection of specific DNA sequences,” Bio/Technology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 413–417, 1992.
- R. Higuchi, C. Fockler, G. Dollinger, and R. Watson, “Kinetic PCR analysis: real-time monitoring of DNA amplification reactions,” Bio/Technology, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1026–1030, 1993.
- H. Zipper, H. Brunner, J. Bernhagen, and F. Vitzthum, “Investigations on DNA intercalation and surface binding by SYBR Green I, its structure determination and methodological implications,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 32, no. 12, article e103, 2004.
- “Relative quantitation of gene expression experimental design and analysis: relative standard curve method and comparative Ct method (),” 2004, http://www3.appliedbiosystems.com/cms/groups/mcb_support/documents/generaldocuments/cms_042380.pdf.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2-ΔΔCT method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.
- S. M. Hsu and L. Raine, “Protein A, avidin, and biotin in immunohistochemistry,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1349–1353, 1981.
- F. M. Reis, A. L. Maia, M. F. M. Ribeiro, and P. M. Spritzer, “Progestin modulation of c-fos and prolactin gene expression the human endometrium,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 71, no. 6, pp. 1125–1132, 1999.
- P. M. Spritzer, M. F. M. Ribeiro, M. C. Oliveira et al., “Effects of tamoxifen on serum prolactin levels, pituitary immunoreactive prolactin cells and uterine growth in estradiol-treated ovariectomized rats,” Hormone and Metabolic Research, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 171–176, 1996.
- F. M. Reis, M. F. M. Ribeiro, A. L. Maia, and P. M. Spritzer, “Regulation of human endometrial transforming growth factor β1 and β3 isoforms through menstrual cycle and medroxyprogesterone acetate treatment,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 739–745, 2002.
- C. Alviggi, R. Clarizia, G. Castaldo et al., “Leptin concentrations in the peritoneal fluid of women with ovarian endometriosis are different according to the presence of a “deep” or “superficial” ovarian disease,” Gynecological Endocrinology, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 610–615, 2009.
- B. Seeber, M. D. Sammel, X. Fan et al., “Panel of markers can accurately predict endometriosis in a subset of patients,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 1073–1081, 2008.
- B. Seeber, M. D. Sammel, X. Fan et al., “Proteomic analysis of serum yields six candidate proteins that are differentially regulated in a subset of women with endometriosis,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 93, no. 7, pp. 2137–2144, 2010.
- J. A. Cioffi, A. W. Shafer, T. J. Zupancic et al., “Novel B219/OB receptor isoforms: possible role of leptin in hematopoiesis and reproduction,” Nature Medicine, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 585–588, 1996.
- R. R. González, P. Caballero-Campo, M. Jasper et al., “Leptin and leptin receptor are expressed in the human endometrium and endometrial leptin secretion is regulated by the human blastocyst,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 85, no. 12, pp. 4883–4888, 2000.
- A. K. Styer, B. T. Sullivan, M. Puder et al., “Ablation of leptin signaling disrupts the establishment, development, and maintenance of endometriosis-like lesions in a murine model,” Endocrinology, vol. 149, no. 2, pp. 506–514, 2008.
- M. Rafet Gazvani, S. Christmas, S. Quenby, J. Kirwan, P. M. Johnson, and C. R. Kingsland, “Peritoneal fluid concentrations of interleukin-8 in women with endometriosis: relationship to stage of disease,” Human Reproduction, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 1957–1961, 1998.
- J. N. Bulmer, R. K. Jones, and R. F. Searle, “Intraepithelial leukocytes in endometriosis and adenomyosis: comparison of eutopic and ectopic endometrium with normal endometrium,” Human Reproduction, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 2910–2915, 1998.